Add on hydraulic/power steering

/ Add on hydraulic/power steering #1  

smokinmad

Silver Member
Tractor
ford 1210, yanmar 276D, I.H. Cub Lowboy, Ford 2-N
Found this while looking at a Pug.....The pug has hydraulic steering, so why wouldn't this work to run a cylinder to have power steering on a tractor? Yes, HOYE TRACTOR has a add-on unit, well when they can get them. No, I have not priced PUGS parts yet. Was wondering what you Tractor Guru's thought and whether it would work. The #2 port actually runs to a Dump Valve, a guy Could use that port to run a cylinder for the Toplink.

SO, how far off am I?

power steering unt.jpg Pug hydraulic diagram.jpg

/ Add on hydraulic/power steering #2  
That's how hydrostatic power steering on tractors work. I have a Kubota B7300 with a aftermarket system the like this.
I would recommend using a priority flow divider or a dedicated pump on a tractor thought rather then using the aux port on the orbital valve to run a cylinder, either way will work though.

/ Add on hydraulic/power steering
So would you run port#2 then back into the reservoir or just cap it? You say you have a aftermarket system on your kubota, do you know what brand. I have a Yanmar 276D and I'm putting my JD model 75 loader on it. It will definitely need power steering on it.

/ Add on hydraulic/power steering #4  
It'll depend on the valve manufacturer on what to do with the port but most likely will end up getting capped.

The conversion was already done when I got my Kubota so I have no idea who made it but they are pretty easy to put together.

A member here, Fatjay, just did a thread on doing this conversion on his Kubota.

It'll depend on the valve manufacturer on what to do with the port but most likely will end up getting capped.

The conversion was already done when I got my Kubota so I have no idea who made it but they are pretty easy to put together.

A member here, Fatjay, just did a thread on doing this conversion on his Kubota.

Yea...I'm reading it right now....lol
Never thought about a garden tractor p/s unit.

/ Add on hydraulic/power steering #6  
Can't recall an orbital valve ever being cheap, unless you can get one from some scrap pile.

I would love to have power assisted steering on the Fordson. So far the outfit in Turkey that makes the hardware just gets farther and farther away. ;-)

/ Add on hydraulic/power steering #7  
The orbital valve can be found used pretty cheap, most forklift, turf equipment, and high end GT's use them, I have 3 from golf course mowers waiting on projects.

Simplicity Sunstars and some JD GT's use them along with certain cub cadets with ps.
Surplus Center has some steering valves that are less then 300 but I didn't look to see if they would be a good fit for your application.

Ebay has a decent selection of used, a lot of Jacobson turf equipment used them.

The orbital valve can be found used pretty cheap, most forklift, turf equipment, and high end GT's use them, I have 3 from golf course mowers waiting on projects.

Simplicity Sunstars and some JD GT's use them along with certain cub cadets with ps.
Surplus Center has some steering valves that are less then 300 but I didn't look to see if they would be a good fit for your application.

Ebay has a decent selection of used, a lot of Jacobson turf equipment used them.

Thanks for the info...know what to look for now.....

Oh-Yea...TMGT...your right...Ebay has Plenty of them for a good price.....Can't wait to get back to work

Last edited:
   / Add on hydraulic/power steering #9  
The hotrodders are using the electric power steering units from saturns and some other gm cars

Hmmmmm......I own a lil' saturn sl2....hey honey.....lol...will look into that....Thanks