SawBox/ToolBox Shelf for the M5640

/ SawBox/ToolBox Shelf for the M5640 #1  

Gordon Gould

Tractor
Kubota L3010DT, Kubota M5640SUD, Dresser TD7G Dozer
I wanted a removable but rugged shelf for my saws and sawbox. Behind the seat seemed like the best place. I made a shelf from 1-1/2 X 3/16 angle and expanded metal that is 27-1/4 ( 1/4 less than the ROPS opening to avoid a interference fit ) X 12. The shelf is cantilevered off a couple pieces of 2 X 1/4 angle that rests against the back of the ROPS. The angle is clamped to the ROPS with 2 "U" collars made from 3 X 1/4 bar and some 3/8 bolts. I plug welded two 1/8 shims to the shelf ends to fill the gap between the shelf and angle pieces. I made the shims 1/4 small so there was an 1/8 groove to fill with weld all the way around. It is plenty rugged - probably more than it has to be but that is OK in my book. I can stand on the back edge. Now I need to add my saw scabbards and a little under-armor to protect the hydraulic filters that are exposed under the tractor.

P1160255.JPG

P1160276.JPG

gg

Last edited:
   / SawBox/ToolBox Shelf for the M5640 #2  
Great work. I really like the idea, may have to adapt something like that for my Kioti.

/ SawBox/ToolBox Shelf for the M5640
I added a bracket and a saw scabbard made from scrap CDX plywood to my sawbox shelf. It took me a while to figure out how to do it so that I could get the 22" saw in and out of the scabbard w/o the need of a ladder. I'm kind of on the short side. The way I have it is easy with both feet flat on the ground. Good thing I don't need a 36" saw :laughing:

P1160304.JPG

P1160325.JPG

P1160328.JPG

P1160338.JPG

gg

Today I hung my other saw on the loader frame.

P1160345.JPG

P1160352.JPG

gg

Slowly picking away setting up for work. Maybe it will dry up soon and I can get some done - what a wet spring so far. Yesterday was rainy again and I had lots of time to play. Made a couple brackets to mount my cant hook ( peavey ) on the winch where it is easy to get when needed. Put them on today. It was a beautiful day - maybe the best one so far.

P1160382.JPG

P1160388.JPG

P1160405.JPG

gg

/ SawBox/ToolBox Shelf for the M5640 #7  
:thumbsup: Now you got me to thinking. :confused2:

Mounted a proper tool box on the shelf today. Weather proof !!!! No more open topped tool box full of snow to dig through. No more frozen stiff spare gloves or nylon webbing.

P1160501.JPG

gg

The two hydraulic filters are pretty exposed on the bottom of the tractor. Especially to slash or a branch getting kicked up underneath or else getting caught in a tire chain and swinging around like a loose cannon.

P1160525.JPG

So I made a couple brackets that bolt into threaded holes on the bottom of the transmission and a filter cover box that bolts to the brackets. Brackets are 1/4" and box is 1/8" material. This should at least protect the filters from taking a direct hit and keep something from getting jammed up between them and then twisted around. Not that pretty. It kind of evolved as I went.

P1160519.JPG

P1160531.JPG

gg

/ SawBox/ToolBox Shelf for the M5640 #10  
The two hydraulic filters are pretty exposed on the bottom of the tractor. Especially to slash or a branch getting kicked up underneath or else getting caught in a tire chain and swinging around like a loose cannon.

View attachment 513861

So I made a couple brackets that bolt into threaded holes on the bottom of the transmission and a filter cover box that bolts to the brackets. Brackets are 1/4" and box is 1/8" material. This should at least protect the filters from taking a direct hit and keep something from getting jammed up between them and then twisted around. Not that pretty. It kind of evolved as I went.

View attachment 513862

View attachment 513863

gg

Dayyummm!! I think that shield would survive a direct blast from a land mine!!!!! Good work, who cares what it looks like lol.