Speedometer Addition to Hydrostat?

/ Speedometer Addition to Hydrostat? #1  

npalen

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota B9200 HSTD and Mahindra 3015
Just wondering if anyone has come up with an aftermarket speedometer for hydrostat tractors. Seems like it would be very handy at times like when spraying for example.
I know that groundspeed radar is used on ag tractors but wondering if there is a gps app that would be accurate enough to use to measure groundspeed.

/ Speedometer Addition to Hydrostat? #2  
I have one, and besides satisfying my curiosity it's not of much use. I have a rpm gauge on my PTO and it's in the same boat.

/ Speedometer Addition to Hydrostat?
I see now that there are quite a few smartphone apps that read out in MPH. That should get me in the ballpark for spraying roundup. Even saw one that can be used as a HUD (Heads Up Display) in a motor vehicle. It outputs a mirror image in MPH that reflects off the windshield when the smartphone is laid on top of the dash. Even sounds a warning when exceeding one of several preset speeds.

For those that don't understand the issue of no readout of MPH on a hydrostat, it's difficult to achieve and maintain a needed MPH with the hydrostat pedal. I agree that it's probably useless most of the time otherwise.

/ Speedometer Addition to Hydrostat? #4  
I have used my hydro with sprayer a good bit and the way I handle that is with pedal full forward set my rpms to get the ground speed I want.
Had a friend who's suggestion was a bicycle speedometer. Now I know almost nothing on those options and sadly he has passed.

/ Speedometer Addition to Hydrostat? #5  
GC1700s have 'cruise control' so you can find the sweet spot and lock it in. I thought most HSTs would have this so they could move like a geared tractor (gear+RPM=FPS). Having to push the pedal for ALL movement seems like it would get tiring.

/ Speedometer Addition to Hydrostat? #6  
....Having to push the pedal for ALL movement seems like it would get tiring.
I don't even think about it and it's effortless unlike trying to push a clutch in, which takes a whole lot more pressure to push in.

/ Speedometer Addition to Hydrostat? #7  
My GPS has a speedometer function and with it I confirmed my ground speed was topped at 6MPH.\

Not sure if all GPS's have that function that Garmin includes but low prices for hand helds make it a definite option and for that matter older outdated units could fill the ticket.

/ Speedometer Addition to Hydrostat? #8  
Either the phone app or a gps unit would be your best option for what your doing. I have a free app that I used to compare the speeds of my kubota with my kioti when I bought it.

/ Speedometer Addition to Hydrostat? #9  
My John Deere has a speedometer built right in the display

/ Speedometer Addition to Hydrostat?
I have used my hydro with sprayer a good bit and the way I handle that is with pedal full forward set my rpms to get the ground speed I want.
Had a friend who's suggestion was a bicycle speedometer. Now I know almost nothing on those options and sadly he has passed.

The pedal full forward with set RPM's seems a viable solution in conjunction with smartphone app to get the initial MPH set. Thanks for the feedback.