Kubota L3301 HST Peddle Flip Mod

/ Kubota L3301 HST Peddle Flip Mod #1  

Homeline

Salutations Ladies & Gents!

Just picked-up a new L3301 with an HST and came up with a scheme to get some floor space. Perhaps someone else has done this or a variation of it, but here goes....

Bought this brand & model for several reasons (hey...it was orange!), even though was not real wild about the HST peddle. But I can adapt to most things...or adapt them to me! For me, the main issue with the peddle is not so much in using it, but getting myself situated in the cockpit. My size 12 clod-hoppers with boots needed a bit more room when when settling in, specifically in the heal area....always seem to tromp it in reverse.

From the factory, the peddle is mounted on the outside face of a bracket that protrudes through the floor board. The flip-part of this mod relocates the peddle to the backside of this lever. This results in it being more inboard.

Now don't be scared here, because at this point the tractor has 3.9 hrs on it!

First step is remove the peddle. Using a small dremel cutter, slice into two or three of the spot welds on each nut on the mounting bracket. Then thread a bolt back into the nut & clamp with a visegrip and gently but firmly wiggle to break loose the remaining welds. They should break-off clean. Actually they could probably be removed with just a hammer and chisel, but would I not recommend that unless HST bracket was off the tractor....and that looked to be a PIA.

Next, find longer bolts and suitable spacers (about 1/4" as shown).

Reinstall peddle & test drive. Make adjustments for travel. Now, this gained me 7/16". While that's not much in the grand scheme of things, it has worked for me. I can now climb aboard, set my heal down now and not touch the peddle. Mission accomplished!

More room could be gained with a thicker spacer, easily another 1/2". However, the closer peddle is moved toward the hump, the closer it gets to the metal shroud when depressed for forward travel. This pic shows mine just touching that cover at full forward. It appears the cover could be bent or trimmed if it were in the way of travel. Will also note that moving peddle sightly inboard did not change how the peddle rests on the limit bolts on the floorboard.

/ Kubota L3301 HST Peddle Flip Mod #2  
This knob is new for the standard "L's" - or I have not seen it before. What does this knob do? (Nice Mod, too) :thumbsup:

View attachment 528148

/ Kubota L3301 HST Peddle Flip Mod #4  
Cool!!! Thanks... PS. They needed that!!!

/ Kubota L3301 HST Peddle Flip Mod #5  
You may find that the offset you added to the HST treadle makes it harder to use the split brakes, so keep that in mind. The standard position is lined up with the brake pedals to let you simultaneously go forward and steer with the brakes.

On this particular tractor, the treadle is setup so that you put your heel between the front and back pegs for nominal positioning. To go forward, put the front of your foot on the front peg. To go in reverse, pivot the leg so that the ball of your foot is between the pegs and your heel is on the rear peg. None of this requires space to the right of the treadle so I am not sure why you wanted more room there unless it was for non-operating use.

Photo shows the nominal position for resting foot or going forward (size 11.5 boots).

IMG_9194.jpg

/ Kubota L3301 HST Peddle Flip Mod
Duly noted about the brakes. Although i don't see me using brakes for steering, that could change down the road. But i dont see about a 1/2" off-set being a problem. Nice thing is, nothing done here that cannot be undone.

My primary reason for doing this was to facilitate getting into the drivers seat. You see, i added a canopy. I'm 6'3, so i need to stoop just a bit. That changed the dynamics of shifting my weight. Not really an issue without canopy. That little bit of off-set was what i needed to make it a touch easier.

/ Kubota L3301 HST Peddle Flip Mod #7  
Cool!!! Thanks... PS. They needed that!!!

WHAT! No more stupid sight glass? Now that was a worthwhile addition. I hated that stupid sight glass. I always had to get down on my knees to "study" it to try to figure it the level.

/ Kubota L3301 HST Peddle Flip Mod #8  
Duly noted about the brakes. Although i don't see me using brakes for steering, that could change down the road. But i dont see about a 1/2" off-set being a problem. Nice thing is, nothing done here that cannot be undone.

My primary reason for doing this was to facilitate getting into the drivers seat. You see, i added a canopy. I'm 6'3, so i need to stoop just a bit. That changed the dynamics of shifting my weight. Not really an issue without canopy. That little bit of off-set was what i needed to make it a touch easier.

That must be a bit of a maneuver getting in under a canopy! I'm 6'1" and definitely stand above the ROPS when getting onboard. Not even sure how I'd do it with a canopy.

/ Kubota L3301 HST Peddle Flip Mod #9  
WHAT! No more stupid sight glass? Now that was a worthwhile addition. I hated that stupid sight glass. I always had to get down on my knees to "study" it to try to figure it the level.

I normally would prefer a sight glass for simplicity, but I have heard more than one person on here have to replace theirs because it leaked. It sure is hard to see the level with the color of Kubota's UDT. I will probably add some dye (Deere sells some) when it comes time to change my fluid.

/ Kubota L3301 HST Peddle Flip Mod #10  

BTW, with large feet/boots, be careful getting "off" the tractor. It's way too easy to get a boot hooked or stuck in the HST treadle area and if you happen to fall off the platform or can't steady yourself, it would be a bad injury. I have come close a couple times and am very careful. I believe they eliminated the clutch pedal on your 3301, but on my 3200 it's another obstacle to dance around.