LED Amber Strobes?

/ LED Amber Strobes? #1  

cold1313

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota M4D-071 Kubota F3990
About 2 years ago I bought an LED amber strobe unit from Rural King. Magnetic base, 12V cigarette lighter plug, etc. I stick it on top of the ROPS when I'm near the road moving snow. People fly down the road so this has definetly helped slow them down.

I was wondering if there are better units (I'm sure, it's only a cheapo Rural King unit ($50 i think)). Or something brighter? I need 360* coverage, as my LED flood lights are on at the same time. So I mount the amber lights above the flood lights, because I think the flood lights blind the drivers a bit and wash out the amber lights.

What has everyone else on here used?

/ LED Amber Strobes? #4  
I use these.
A) 6 amber flashing strobes mounted 3 on front and 3 back. Cheap and effective and have 3 flash modes.
B) On top I use another cheap amber LED strobe which has a double magnet base and 6 flashing modes.
C) also mounted LED light bars front and rear.
All available on Ebay for reasonable prices.

Attachments

• s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg
    180.7 KB · Views: 339
  • $_3.GIF
    $_3.GIF
    365.5 KB · Views: 420
  • $_57.JPG
    $_57.JPG
    94.3 KB · Views: 349
   / LED Amber Strobes? #5  
We use amber strobes and done using the cheap, low power units. Never again! Grote 77693 Yellow Medium Profile Class II Heavy-Duty strobes is all we use today. We have about 4 of these on machines and yet to have one fail in years of service. They crank out a serious flash that will light up the woods we work in. I have got good photos of them doing that but sorry I can't locate any good ones now. I will add some lame ones. They run about $160 but not have someone smash into us, is worth it.

Amazon.com: Grote 77693 Yellow Medium Profile Class I & II Heavy-Duty Strobe (Class II, Heavy Duty): Automotive

OK I did find a better photo. You can't see the light itself, but things turning amber from it going off.

Attachments

• grizsnightlightsrear1.jpg
    grizsnightlightsrear1.jpg
    162.2 KB · Views: 428
  • amberstrob.jpg
    amberstrob.jpg
    255.9 KB · Views: 499
  • defenderlightguard5.jpg
    defenderlightguard5.jpg
    132.2 KB · Views: 418
  • defenderlightreara.jpg
    defenderlightreara.jpg
    109.8 KB · Views: 459
   / LED Amber Strobes? #6  
That's an expensive one now. You can order led amber strobes from amazon for ?$12. I've got one running on an equipment transport trailer, been installed for just about a year now. Runs on something like 8-30vdc, so fine for 8-12-24v systems.

/ LED Amber Strobes? #7  
Most LED strobe lights unless you are talking the most expensive on the market (mostly law enforcement) are all but a bad joke in daylight. I watch these things. In my opinion, nothing still beats a revolving sealed beam in daylight.

I did buy a Star Headlight mini LED light bar that isn't bad, and they have scratch and dent specials, but it still looses most of its impact in daylight.

One little light that can attract the attention of a motorist is better then fifty LED lights that don't.

/ LED Amber Strobes? #8  
I find the blinking most attention getting. An led is a much much faster device than a mechanical rotator. Besides.. Broad daylight? People should be seeing you anyway.

/ LED Amber Strobes? #9  
We went to the Grote 77693 strobes because of daytime visibility. It has an light senor in it so it adjusts from day to night. If in didn't, my nighttime operators might have difficulties working near them. It is bright and the reason municipalities have gone to these high intensity LED strobes.

/ LED Amber Strobes? #10  
I purchased an amber strobe designed for marine application - from J K McDermott out of NY state. Not cheap, but sitting up on top of my canopy - its a powerful rotating beam for a looooong distance. As I remember it was around $400.