Best battery size for HF 25000# winch for log skidding

/ Best battery size for HF 25000# winch for log skidding #1  

Gitche Gumee Kid

Bronze Member
Tractor
IH 284
Thinking of making a mount on my back blade for log retrieval.

GGK

/ Best battery size for HF 25000# winch for log skidding #2  
HF makes a 12-1/2 ton winch?

That must be chinese weight system. Around 400 pounds.

A winch will suck the life out of a battery. Without something charging it back up, in between pulling. A deep cycle battery isn't meant for such heavy loads.

Also, even deep cycle batteries don't want to be discharged that heavily. Deep cycle is a misnomer. It's only deep compared to a normal battery.

/ Best battery size for HF 25000# winch for log skidding
I Toys,
My bad . It's a 12000# HF winch that I'm interested in.

GGK

/ Best battery size for HF 25000# winch for log skidding #4  
That's still BIG. I ran a 1000 or so pound superwinch, doubled up to drag these (free) steps onto an old trailer. A deep cycle battery JUST did it. Steps are hollow. You can see battery on pavement.

DSC04197.JPG

/ Best battery size for HF 25000# winch for log skidding #5  
Go with two in parallel if you can afford to.

/ Best battery size for HF 25000# winch for log skidding #6  

Why would you need two 12k winches in parallel. You can easily double them with a pulley. If you doubled both you've got 48 thousand pounds of pull ( assuming the HF winch actually pulls its rated pull. And the battery size and charging capacity to make more than 1 pull would have to be massive.

/ Best battery size for HF 25000# winch for log skidding #7  

Why would you need two 12k winches in parallel. You can easily double them with a pulley. If you doubled both you've got 48 thousand pounds of pull ( assuming the HF winch actually pulls its rated pull. And the battery size and charging capacity to make more than 1 pull would have to be massive.

I would assume he talking about dual batteries.

Brett

/ Best battery size for HF 25000# winch for log skidding #8  
I would assume he talking about dual batteries.

Brett

That would make more sense. I couldn't find an amp draw on the HF winch but I'd guess he needs more than 2 batteries to make very many pulls.

/ Best battery size for HF 25000# winch for log skidding #9  

Winches are not often used in parallel.
12V batteries ARE often used in parallel.

/ Best battery size for HF 25000# winch for log skidding #10  
I used a big HF winch for the front of my diesel truck which had two batteries and it worked fine. Mounted and hooked everything up and pulled one log and decided it was way to slow.

Now I just pull everything out with the truck or tractor using cables or if I can get the tractor near it I cut into logs and carry them out. And the almost new winch is still sitting under the workbench taking up space.