3RD Function--Poor Man's Version

/ 3RD Function--Poor Man's Version #1  

npalen

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota B9200 HSTD and Mahindra 3015
Needing hydraulics back to the top link cylinder and been switching hoses between the FEL and top link cylinder. Kind of a pain and the dripping couplers like to make a mess and it takes time.
Had this Shoemaker P/N 3169 valve on hand so decided to make use of it until possibly installing remote valving on the back of the Mahindra. Thought it could be used as a makeshift 3rd function also.

Shoemaker Inc. | Providing Quality Hydraulic Valves

Attachments

• SELECTOR-VALVE-1.JPG
    SELECTOR-VALVE-1.JPG
    510.4 KB · Views: 379
  • SELECTOR-VALVE-2.JPG
    SELECTOR-VALVE-2.JPG
    530.1 KB · Views: 349
  • SELECTOR-VALVE-3.JPG
    SELECTOR-VALVE-3.JPG
    520.7 KB · Views: 422
  • SELECTOR-VALVE-4.JPG
    SELECTOR-VALVE-4.JPG
    92.1 KB · Views: 321
   / 3RD Function--Poor Man's Version #2  
Needing hydraulics back to the top link cylinder and been switching hoses between the FEL and top link cylinder. Kind of a pain and the dripping couplers like to make a mess and it takes time.
Had this Shoemaker P/N 3169 valve on hand so decided to make use of it until possibly installing remote valving on the back of the Mahindra. Thought it could be used as a makeshift 3rd function also.

Shoemaker Inc. | Providing Quality Hydraulic Valves
Nice..

/ 3RD Function--Poor Man's Version #3  
A couple hundred bucks gets you a whole extra valve.

This is my weekend project that failed because the lady at Graingers hit the wrong line item and ordered -10 hose ends instead of my -8's. I'm mostly dead in the water until new ones can be shipped in Wed.

20180523_163011[1].jpg

I've got (2) 2-spool valves out back now, and "power beyond" between them was all of a set of quick connects (cost me like 8 bucks!). The top valves handle top and tilt with float on the top link cylinder, and the other pair is used for my stump grinder and anything else I might come up with. Still have the factory SCV as well, and the two additional valves and all needed plumbing came in well under what a second factory SCV would've cost. :)

/ 3RD Function--Poor Man's Version
It seems like fittings, hoses, quick couplers and shipping are what drive up the cost when adding hydraulics.

I would like to replace the two hoses going from the SCV to the selector (diverter) valve with 1/2" stainless steel tubing but need to find a good bender. Used to do a lot of tube bending back in the day and I remember it as a challenge. :)

/ 3RD Function--Poor Man's Version #5  
Yeah, I know I've had a couple $100 fitting runs to get everything hooked up. Turns out the field replaceable hose ends are 1/3 the price of the assembly charge from any of the local hydraulic shops, so they end up being 2x more per fitting than crimped ends but save $15 in labor for a grand total savings of almost $10 a hose end.

Sure, I could order custom hoses, but where's the fun in that? :p

I really wanted to do formed steel lines for my stump grinder valve's QC manifold, but I was quoted $50 a line to make them. :eek: Instead I'll be making some solid aluminum manifolds that use custom banjo bolts to attach them to the valve body. Should work pretty slick and be more compact as well to boot.

Got my top and tilt valve mostly installed today. Just need to plumb the P and T lines and she'll be in business.

20180527_190842[1].jpg

20180527_190726.jpg

/ 3RD Function--Poor Man's Version
Somthing I didn't consider is that the diverter (selector) valve has a small internal leakage between ports similar to directional control valve. The weight of the heavier attachment can transfer fluid to the lighter attachment over time via the internal leakage. This is regardless of the position of the selector valve handle.
Not a huge problem but something to consider.