Spacers vs dual wheel adaptors??

/ Spacers vs dual wheel adaptors?? #1  

goatman

Silver Member
Tractor
NH TC 30
I have been trying to find a way to widen my rear end.. New Holland TC30 came with 1 piece rims even with the wheels turned around still feel a bit tippy when I get sidways or when my bucket is full,I live in southern Ohio and have a lot of hillside to work on.. I have been considering ordering a set of 2 piece rims but not sure I will get that much wider. Currently 60" outside to outside of tires.. Other options are spacers, dual wheels but I have NO experience or knowlege of either.. Any help in locating a place for them, or advice would be appreciated.. Thanks David B... /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

/ Spacers vs dual wheel adaptors?? #2  
goatman,
I responded somewhat in my post 'about lug bolts".
I'm not sure how wide you want to go; I only needed an inch or two.
Mine are aluminum but if you're going "wide" you may want steel.
The machine shop could have made mine either way for the about same cost and for what I want the aluminum should hold up.
For your consideration, I've heard talk that the wider you go , the more stress on the rear end components.
GrayBeard

/ Spacers vs dual wheel adaptors?? #3  
"I have been trying to find a way to widen my rear end"

Marriage seemed to work for my wife

/ Spacers vs dual wheel adaptors??
Real Cute /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Spacers vs dual wheel adaptors?? #5  
Chucko Good One! /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /forums/images/graemlins/ooo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

/ Spacers vs dual wheel adaptors?? #6  
You know your a redneck when you have to widen your tractor's rear end because you wife got bigger..... (If I come up MIA you will know she read this:) )

/ Spacers vs dual wheel adaptors?? #7  
was thinking the same thing! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif but of course my bride has been with me for 40 years, and i guess i ain't no prize either

/ Spacers vs dual wheel adaptors?? #8  
was wondering? if you decide to go with duals , do you have to put them on both front and back? i would think so but don't really know!

/ Spacers vs dual wheel adaptors?? #9  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( "I have been trying to find a way to widen my rear end"

Marriage seemed to work for my wife )</font>

I heard that rubbing it with toilet paper makes it grow..... may be just another of those old wives tails... /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Spacers vs dual wheel adaptors?? #10  
David,

I also have a TC-30 with R-1 or Ag tires and know how tippy it can be even on realitivly mild slopes. Spacers are the simplest way to go and probably only on the rears. They will induce a bit more stress on the rear axle bearings, but nothing like the stress on you and machine if you roll it over!!

I would suggest 3" to 4" wide per side in aluminum or steel, your choice. I would also fill the rear tires with suitable solution (most any tractor dealer or tire shop that deals with tractor tires should be able to advise on this).

NH specifically advises against mounting the front tires to wide setting probably due to excessive stress on wheel bearings and/or spindles with a FEL. I am not sure you would gain much by reversing or fluid filling the fronts, but you certainly could if you want.

The primary reason to go to duals is for additional floatation, which I do not gather you need. They will certainly also help with stability. If you elect to go this route, you can use one size smaller diameter for the outer tires which will help keep your steering as easy as normal while the outer duals would still provide the extra stability when at extreem angles.

I also do not recall what tires you are running now, but R-4 Industrial or turf are wider overall than the R-1 AG and also hold more fluid fill. Useing a solution such as Rim Guard or calsium chloride will add about 11 lbs/gallon. Go with typical 75% fill.

My feeling is that if you can not get comfortable with 8" wider rear wheel track (based on 4" spacers) and fluid filled Industrial or turf tires, you probably should look at other types of tractor. I bought a Power Trac 1845 specifically for the REAL steep terrain on my property (20, 25, 30 degrees plus). There are other possibilities as well.

Good Luck... and wear that seat belt!