GFI outlet on Tractor

/ GFI outlet on Tractor #1  

mbower

Tractor
Kubota BX2230
Hey guys -

Recently I saw a John Deere Garden Tractor with a GFI outlet. Pretty cool! Many times I need power when far away from the house. Can my Kubota BX2230 be customized with an outlet?

Matt

/ GFI outlet on Tractor #2  
You could always add an inverter sized for the electrical system on the tractor.. or see if you can get a different alternator on the tractor.. It is quite common to get alternators that also provide 120vac.

Soundguy

/ GFI outlet on Tractor #3  
actually all alternators have AC in them, the rectifier/diode pack changes it to DC /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif the thing is the Frequency changes with the RPM of the tractor/engine driving the alternator. same with voltage it goes UP as RPM goes up.

it is best to do it as an ADD ON INVERTER though, as long as you don't want to try and use a bunch of heavy duty saws ect then adding a small INVERTER is pretty simple. I have one on my farm I use for drills and stuff like lights, only used it a FEW times, but was NICE when I did need it!

just clip the inverter onto the battery terminals... two GFI outlets are on the inverter ready to roll... only run the inverter with the engine running or else you may not be able to re-start tractor if you drain battery too far...

Mark M:)

/ GFI outlet on Tractor #4  
That was my point.. you don't want 400cycle 120v ac if you are powering anything 'delicate'. they make alternators that provide dc, AND 120vac at 60hz.

Most of us alread know that laternator kinda menas that it has something to do with alternating current... least that's what they taught us in engineering classes anyway /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Soundguy

/ GFI outlet on Tractor #5  
<font color="blue"> Most of us already know that laternator kinda means that it has something to do with alternating current... least that's what they taught us in engineering classes anyway </font>

Gee, I looked up "laternator" and couldn't find anything at all... /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Sorry, Soundguy... I just couldn't resist... /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

/ GFI outlet on Tractor #6  
mbower,

You might want to know the current (amps) capacity of the charging system before you size your inverter, if you were to go that route. I am in the process of figuring out a way to put an external alternator and battery on a LT to handle the load the inverter I have in mind will put on it. It involves re-arranging the exhaust system a little dab to put the alternator up front and run off the mower deck PTO. The charging system on that little LT could no way handle the 800 watt inverter I have in mind (thats about 66 2/3 amps or so at 12 volts in a perfect 100% efficiency world). So, I am going the external alternator/battery route. I know that the Kubota would have a much larger capacity, but it is still something to consider if you want any kind of duty cycle it would seem to me.

Good luck,

Kurt

/ GFI outlet on Tractor #7  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( ... It is quite common to get alternators that also provide 120vac.

Soundguy )</font>

Do you have any web sites or other sources for this type of alternator? I googled for them, but mostly found just alternator or rebuild type links. I did stumble upon an interesting site that offers DC WELDERS that can be built into the engine compartment of your tractor! (Zena Mobile Welding System)

/ GFI outlet on Tractor #8  
You might try calling a mom-n-pop shop. One add i saw was from a local rebuild shop.. they were selling all sorts of custom alternators.. even some in the 250 amp range... positive ground alternators.. full isolated ground alternators.. and ones for rv's.. etc.

I saw that dc welder site too.. pretty neat..

Soundguy