Quest for Quiet?

/ Quest for Quiet? #1  

gray

Silver Member
Upper Peninsula of Michigan, on the shore of Super
Tractor
Kubota L48 tlb
I have tried a few things to reduce the engine noise of my L48. Here are my efforts.

First- After reading a few posts here I ordered a Super Pack muffler and fitted it to the L48. It reduced the noise only slightly? 10%

Second- I ordered a noise reduction kit for a boat engine compartment and fitted it to the bare metal covers of the tractor. This gave about a 20% reduction but htis is a hard thing to measure without a db noise meter. Just a best guess.

To reduce it further would be a trick? Maybe someone will share an idea that will go further. I am hoping some day to fit it with a cab but that is a ways off. It is not a real noisy tractor but after 4 or 5 hours on it you get a bit tired of the drone. Most diesels are noisy and this one is no exception- just trying to improve it a bit.

Most of the noise now comes from the base of the hood and will always do so- I hope.

I learned- unless the manufacturer has put a bad mufler system on it, your diesel tractor can only be so quiet. Ideas????????????

/ Quest for Quiet? #2  
Have you considered the cheap way out like a pair of shooters muffs or ear plugs?

/ Quest for Quiet? #3  
Can you move the exhaust down under the tractor so it is behind you? I've seen small Ford's set up that way.

/ Quest for Quiet?
I could use ear protection but am so used to using my hearing to tell all kinds of things going on around me as I work, I would not wish to limit that. It is within reason but I am trying to improve it.

I misprinted Super Pack but ment Super Trap muffler. I could move the exhaust to the rear but it would be easily damaged sue to the work I do with the tractor and I am not sure it would be that much quieter????? Maybe?

BTW- i mounted the sound deadening material inside the panels. I think people understood that.

I did not note that most of the engine block is below the engine cover and noise from it will not be muffled by the padding.

I will use it outside in a day or so and will have a better idea of how it sounds in use.

/ Quest for Quiet? #5  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I could use ear protection but am so used to using my hearing to tell all kinds of things going on around me as I work, I would not wish to limit that. It is within reason but I am trying to improve it. )</font>
How can you hear whats going on around you now with the loud tractor? How do you expect to hear things when you are inside the cab you wish to install?

If you don't wear hearing protection now, you might not need it later. Here is a thread on the subject of someone who wishes they had been wearing hearing protection all along:

Wear Hearing Protection !!!!

It continues in this thread:
Hearing Loss Report & Aid Recommendation

/ Quest for Quiet? #6  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( How can you hear whats going on around you now with the loud tractor? How do you expect to hear things when you are inside the cab you wish to install?)</font>

I agree - I use in-the-ear custom molded hearing protectors most of the time when riding motorcycles, and can say that I can hear the radio and etc. better with ear plugs in than without. Without the plugs, wind noise covers almost all else. I've never tried them on my tractor; obviously the wind noise would not be a factor there, but I'd be willing to bet that they would cut down the overall noise level and still allow me to hear what I need to.

/ Quest for Quiet? #7  
" could use ear protection but am so used to using my hearing to tell all kinds of things going on around me as I work, I would not wish to limit that. It is within reason but I am trying to improve it. "

There are sound attenuators that allow normal hearing and conversations, but muffle higher dB sounds (while target shooting, for example).

I suggest you're taking the wrong tack...trying to muffle the tractor. I do expect you'll lose a couple HP by putting that muffler on.

Now, I'm losing my hearing...definitely don't have hearing as good as it was a few years back. In my case, some of the loss is probably hereditary.

However, no use making a bad situation worse, so I use ear plugs when ever operating any equipment (tractor, mower, chain saw (don't use them anymore) or weed wacker). Subjectively, the tractor isn't as loud as the other types of equipment, but I still use those ear plugs.
I've never had a problem hearing or observing any situations that might cause concern.

/ Quest for Quiet? #8  
I might also add that with the Pro-ears on, they muffle all sounds. I get used drone in my head and can STILL hear something "odd". After all, if the machine is humming along and all the sudden, you hear some clickity clacks, they will clash against the typical hum. at least, has for me thusfar.

More in my experience, I drove over a stick (spear) and impaled my oil filter. I heard the buzzer on dash, shut down, looked around, found the entire SIDE of the machine just washed in oil as it blew out the lower side. Panicked, I checked level, showed none... new filter on, filled with oil, fingers crossed and all was fine (whew).

/ Quest for Quiet? #9  
Gray, I use pro ears to reduce the noise and still hear voices and other sounds better. You can also use these on the gun range. You can hear normal talk but then it cuts out the gun fire noise.

Sometimes you just have to tackle the problem from the other end.

<font color="red"> pro ear TBN thread </font>

/ Quest for Quiet?
txdon.

I will try the pro ear out. I have tried ear protection many times while teaching woodworking classes in HS and they did not alow me to hear many of the tools running or being run wrong when my back is turned. I thought that would be the case with backing over things or bumping into something or other?

The noise is not at the harmfull level- not like grinding one auto bodies in a closed garage. Over the long haul it may have some impact. I just wanted to muffle it as much as I could in a proper way.

Thnks to all for input. I will carry some ear plugs( pro ear?) and see how it will go.