Yet Another Set of ROPS Lights

/ Yet Another Set of ROPS Lights #1  

rswyan

Tractor
Kubota B2910, Cub Cadet Pro Z 154S, Simplicity 18 CFC, Cub Cadet 782
I wanted some additional lights for snow removal so while I was at Harbor Freight awhile back I noticed that they had these 55w lights on sale for $8 a pair, so I picked up four of them. The only good thing I can say about them is the low price - the bases and housing very cheap and rather of poor quality - which makes aiming them precisely an almost impossible task - but they work good enough. I needed a way to mount them so I picked up a pair of small orange magnetic ground clamps (you can just barely see them at the top, behind the bar the lights are mounted on) while I was there as well. For the mounting bar itself I used a piece of old aluminum threshold from a recently replaced door which I cut down on the bandsaw. A little Kubota ROPS grey and it blends right in, more or less. I have to say that I managed to knock the lightbar off the ROPS when clearing the driveway and wasn't paying good attention to some branches that were hanging real low due all the ice - and the lights were none the worse for it.

Attachments

• 563813-IMG_0737.jpg
    563813-IMG_0737.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 1,387
   / Yet Another Set of ROPS Lights
For the switches I picked up a NEMA waterproof plastic box, three 20 amp waterproof switches, and three rubber boots for the toggles (double protection. I used some plastic loom to hide the wires in and attached it with cable ties to some cable tie mounts, which attached to the ROPS with double sided adhesive foam (holding up good so far.) The loom was routed down below the switch box so that there would be a drip loop. The hole in the switchbox that the wires pass thru has a rubber grommet in it and all the wires are encased in heatshrink tube at that point - hopefully it will be fairly waterproof. There's one switch each for the front and rear lights, the third switch is for a cigarette light accessory plug that I mounted at the rear of the tractor.

Attachments

• 563815-IMG_0738.jpg
    563815-IMG_0738.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 947
I wanted the light bar to be easily removable, in case I needed to use the tractor in heavy brush or the woods. I had an old flat 4 conductor trailer plug that had been lying around the shed for about 20 years but was brand new .... seemed like a good way to get rid of it. First wire carries the current for the front lights, second for the rear, the third is a common return for both pairs of lights and the fourth is currently unused (just in case I get the hankering for one of the flashing yellow popcorn poppers) Makes it easy to remove - just pull the trailer plug apart and pop off the light bar.

Attachments

• 563819-IMG_0739.jpg
    563819-IMG_0739.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 834
The cigarette lighter accessory receptacle. I picked this up at Autozone, supposed to be waterproof. I used a blank plastic cover for a 4" electrical box for the mounting plate. (It's blue and it still needs to be painted ROPS grey.) It's mounted through an exisiting hole which I believe is for the Kubota rear work light. I used a grommet in the hole and then passed a bolt through that, to avoid chewing up the paint. The electrical feed and ground wires, which you can see coming out of the rubber boot on the bottom of the ROPS are heatshrinked to avoid wear, there's also a piece of plastic loom that goes there that's off in this picture. The feed wire is connected to the exisisting wire which Kubota provides for the rear work light, it's on it's own circuit with a 20 amp fuse.

Attachments

• 563821-IMG_0736.jpg
    563821-IMG_0736.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 801
Another shot from the rear.

Attachments

• 563822-IMG_0735.jpg
    563822-IMG_0735.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 731
   / Yet Another Set of ROPS Lights #6  
Nice clean setup you got there. I used a bed rail for mine. I think I will do as you did with the trailer plug as a quick disconnect. That's a great idea.

/ Yet Another Set of ROPS Lights #7  
Great work! I'm going to print this post and pictures to help me in doing something similar to my tractor. Thanks!

/ Yet Another Set of ROPS Lights #8  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I think I will do as you did with the trailer plug as a quick disconnect. That's a great idea. )</font>

I made a quick install/ remove tail gate for my 6 x 8 utility trailer.
I used hitch pins and clips to attach the gate to the trailer.
I installed a 3Rd. brake lite in the center of the tail gate and used a trailer plug for a quick connect/ disconnect for the light.

/ Yet Another Set of ROPS Lights #9  
Nice clean looking installation rswyan. I hope the Harbor Freight lights work out better for you than they did for us. We put a set of the same lamps on our ROPS and immediately took them back off. They didn't really seem to throw enough light for our tired old eyes. Even if you should decide that you do need more light you have all the hard work done and lights themselves are easy to change.

TC-40D SS web pictures click here

/ Yet Another Set of ROPS Lights #10  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I wanted some additional lights for snow removal so while I was at Harbor Freight awhile back I noticed that they had these 55w lights on sale for $8 a pair, so I picked up four of them. The only good thing I can say about them is the low price - the bases and housing very cheap and rather of poor quality - which makes aiming them precisely an almost impossible task - but they work good enough. I needed a way to mount them so I picked up a pair of small orange magnetic ground clamps (you can just barely see them at the top, behind the bar the lights are mounted on) while I was there as well. For the mounting bar itself I used a piece of old aluminum threshold from a recently replaced door which I cut down on the bandsaw. A little Kubota ROPS grey and it blends right in, more or less. I have to say that I managed to knock the lightbar off the ROPS when clearing the driveway and wasn't paying good attention to some branches that were hanging real low due all the ice - and the lights were none the worse for it. )</font>
~~~~~~~~

Thanks for your post and pictures.
Your first picture gave me the solution to something I was trying to resolve about placing lights on the ROPS.
I was looking at the picture wrong when suddenly I saw the answer to the problem I was trying to solve.
Had I not looked at the picture incorrectly I would have missed my answer.
Who says you don't learn from your mistakes. LOL

Great job on the light installation.
With some modifications to suit my taste I believe it will work out well for my application.