Re: 3PH \"Cradle\" for Chipper/Shredder

this is the top-link hook

Attachments

• 585475-toplink.JPG
    585475-toplink.JPG
    39.2 KB · Views: 213
   / 3PH "Cradle" for Chipper/Shredder #42  

and this shows grond clearance. I have fairly steep trails, and havent drug it yet, but I'm tryin'

Attachments

• 585477-groundclear.JPG
    585477-groundclear.JPG
    35.1 KB · Views: 207
   / 3PH "Cradle" for Chipper/Shredder

Bluemule,

Fantastic! Thanks for all the pic.'s. With it lifted, if you ever do drag those wheels on your land I hope you have your seat belt real tight!

With all the thoughts and pic's, I have a flurry of conflicting ideas and a few questions.

A carry-all is a great idea but, I think I really like the concept of just backing up to the chipper/shredder, moving where I want, and either leaving it, or running it attached where I can lift and move it as needed. Definetly leaning that way.

I like the simplicity of the bolted on drawbar and innovative cycle hold-downs for the toplink connections. However, I think I like Ralph's concept of a more universal drawbar that is I-Match compatible (ty Ralph, ...yes, I have the spec.'s for I-Match dimensions...used 'em for modification of the woodsplitter I bought...will definitely stick to them).

Q: Don't you find that, when chipping (especially) there's an awful lot of vibration on the 3ph, with no damping connection? I would think that eventually there would be some serious metal fatigue. Probably on the c/s 1st.

Q: When fabricating your hitch, did you consider turning the c/s around so that the motor, clutch engage, starter/pull-start, etc... were more accessible? This may not be an option. I have to take a closer look at the front foot and clearance to get to the chipper chute and blade access.

I'm falling asleep at the wheel here with too many alternatives. Just had an idea of maybe using large rubber bungies (I know..vey in-elagant) in a serpantine pattern, between a c/s mounted bracket (for lower lift pins) and top link attachment point, to a Ralph style I-match compatible draw bar. In-elagant but, might provide reasonable damping. I'd better go to bed before I doze off again. I think it's time for me to do some better measurments and drawings....after a good night's sleep.

Thanks all,

Tom

/ 3PH "Cradle" for Chipper/Shredder #44  

i thionk for ease of making, an possibly the easiest solution, may be your one to weld the channels to the side of it that forks from pallat forks fit on to, these in trun could be oin the i-match.
despite this all the ideas are good, its just the decision of what one you want /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

/ 3PH "Cradle" for Chipper/Shredder #45  

Tom, I'm not trying to sell you on the carry-all solution but it will definitely do what you want. In my case I just lift the sides off the carry-all and roll the c/s on the carry-all platform. I drilled a hole through the c/s stand and the carry-all platform and I drop a hitch pin into the hole to keep the c/s from creeping around while I am using it. Most of the time I leave the c/s on the carry-all while I use it. Sometimes I roll the c/s off and use the carry-all and tractor to haul firewood. I have used my c/s this way for the past couple of years and it works great. The only downside is that you have to constantly clear the chips from under the c/s because of the bottom discharge design. That is where Buemule's solution has the advantage.

John

/ 3PH "Cradle" for Chipper/Shredder #46  

In response to your questions..Vibration is not that bad, not as bad as when I drag my box blade down my packed gravel road. The toplink hooks allow some dampning by not being a fixed connection, and I leave sway adjustments just a little loose. You can also lower unit to ground to operate to absorb most vibration.
The reason I mounted it like I did, besides being the easiest, was I have found that shredder would spit back toward the handle side, so I always feed it from the side. I use a nylon tie looped around clutch handle for starting, so all i have to deal with is pull rope. I also wanted the discharge as far away as possible from tractor, and side benifit is great access to discharge chute and screen

/ 3PH "Cradle" for Chipper/Shredder

Bluemule,

Sounds reasonable. Also, I took a good hard look for attachment point and you're absolutely right...you put the bar on the only available area and there's still room to get at the motor, as needed.

I started taking detailed dimensions and drafting up some plans. However, this weekend while hauling chainsaw, torch some paper/cardboard (to recycle... /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif ) and various other things to go burn brush piles, my wife has gotten into the act! She wants a carry-all. Back to the drawing board...

Maybe the same frame could be used either way...Starting to lean back toward Ralph's concept of a more multi-purpose drawbar/lift attachment. I'll think more on this while blowing snow tonight (I do my best thinking in my seat....that didn't come out right /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif )

Tom