3PH "Cradle" for Chipper/Shredder

/ 3PH "Cradle" for Chipper/Shredder #1  

trlong

Platinum Member
Tractor
J.D./4115
3PH \"Cradle\" for Chipper/Shredder

I'm not sure if there may already be a thread on something related to this.

Has any one made a cradle, carrier, or some form of attachment to carry a stand-alone (Gas powered) chipper/shredder with their 3PH? If so, I'm trying to think of pro's and con's of just carrying a 10 HP Bolens to where I need it via my 3PH vs. strapping it to my FEL or, as I did "pre-CUT" hand dragging it up and down this side-hill property.

My wife bought a Bolens (Gardenway) 47323 before we married (loves compost...may explain her attaction to me /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif ). She got a great deal on it but, it is brutal dragging it all over the property. I would prefer a PTO driven unit but, I can't see spending the money when we already have one bought and paid for.

Any thoughts would be appreciated. As I am not a welder, machinist, or mechanical engineer, I would be having a local shop do the fabrication and trying to get it right to pick it up with the I-Match. I'm not sure if it would be better to just pick it up, take it where I want, and drop it off with a kind of cradle (maybe wife will do the work while I get more seat time /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif ), or to have it welded to a frame I would keep mounted until I (I mean she) was done for the day. Ofcourse, I guess, if balanced properly I could still just set it down where needed, even if welded to a frame I could pick up and drop off with the I-Match. With the vibration it creates when running (especially chipping), I'm a bit concerned about keeping it attched to the 3PH...stresses and wear on the I-Match, lift arms,...let alone the forces it could apply to welds and fabricated parts.

Tom

/ 3PH "Cradle" for Chipper/Shredder #2  
Re: 3PH \"Cradle\" for Chipper/Shredder

Does it have wheels? Can't you just rig it to the draw bar and tow it?

/ 3PH "Cradle" for Chipper/Shredder

Roy,

Yes, it has wheels but pretty small (maybe 6" diam.), pretty low ground clearance, and a front leg/foot that could easily drag unless the unit were severely tilted. As my "trails" through the woods (almost all woods) are under construction, they are very rough and some places will have fairly tight turns. The 1st step is to clear the trees. Some places I will have to back to with the tractor (if I have the chipper/shredder mounted), clear, and then come back with the FEL and Rear Blade or backhoe to clear rocks, stumps, and/or grade, etc...

I thought of just modifying a small trailer but, I like the idea of having the unit close to the tractor for the tighter turning areas. Also, that leaves one less piece of equipment to find a place for.

I'll probably chew on what to do for a few months. With no significant snow to clear /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif I'm thinking ahead to spring. If I can borrow my daughter's digital cam, I'll try to post a picture of the unit with the J.D. backed up near it so folks can see what I'm dealing with. Thanks for the response.

/ 3PH "Cradle" for Chipper/Shredder #4  

Seems like you could get a bale mover or a regular carry-all, install plywood base across it (bolt it on) then strap or bolt the chipper to it. I would use some sort of vibration diffuser (rubber mounts). This would not be especially pretty, but it would work fine.

You can have legs welded on to it if you want to be able to set it down while you work.

Cliff

/ 3PH "Cradle" for Chipper/Shredder #5  

do you have pallet forks
you could bolt/strap it to a pallet to which it is permanently fixed than move it around with either loader of 3pt forks
just a thought

/ 3PH "Cradle" for Chipper/Shredder #6  

I've an 8 hp Troy Bilt that I bought from the owner of the house we bought in Baton Rouge. Have it here in Va now. It has little, bearing-less, wheels. The guy made a hitch for it. One wheel came off while I lived in BR, I just drilled the axle and put a cotter pin in it. The wheel was just held on by a push-on cap. That's the way the other one still is.

I pull it around the back yard to my mulching area with my Gravely or JD. If I wanted to use it further away, I'd go to TSC and see about getting some wheels that will go over the axles that are bigger and have bearings on them. You'd have to be VERY CAREFUL. The beast is heavy and very top heavy. You'd want a weak hitch assembly that would bend before it would take the tractor over with it. This one is.

It tilts the machine over at about a 30 to 45 degree angle towards the tractor. On the JD, I can lift the drawbar on the 3 pt some to reduce the tilt.

Ralph

Cliff,

I'm not sure about a bale mover (might have no other use) but, some form of carry-all might make sense. However, (should have mentioned this) the unit is bottom discharge. If mounted on any carrier, it will have to be a basic frame without a solid base. That is a lot of the reason I've thought of using it attached...make a pile then lift and move easily. If I keep it attached to the I-Match while running, I will definitely have to incorporate some vibration diffusion/absorption.

Thanks, each thought gets me thinking of various configurations and pro's/con's.

Tom

Mith,

No, no pallet forks but that got me thinking of having an I-Match compatible fork setup, and then having fork "channels" welded to the chipper/shredder...hmmm. I'd still need some vibration dappening if kept on the forks when running the unit, and perhaps some retaining pins rigged to keep it from sliding off the forks. I might even get some use out of the forks for other attachments, or just moving pallet loads.

Thanks, definitely got me thinking,

Tom

/ 3PH "Cradle" for Chipper/Shredder #9  

if you have i-match then why not have a loop on the shredder that you can pick up with the top hook. if the loop was attached with rubber things that would dampen the vibes

Ralph,

I'm not sure any dragging/wheeling would work on my land. Until I get the trails built, there are some pretty nasty bumps, drops, and rocks to negotiate. Unless I rigged to a trailer axle with the clearance of the 4115, and somewhere near the tire clearance. Also, as you say, very top heavy. So, I'm really leaning toward something that really has it latched in pretty tight. Still ciphering on this though. Thanks.