Drop spreader ???????

/ Drop spreader ??????? #1  

Indydirtfarmer

Platinum Member
Tractor
JD 2440/4440/4020/4955
I'm in need of a seeder to place grass seed. It will be used on prepared soil, as opposed to existing turf. I have access to a powerseeder when I need that. Here's what I'm THINKING about doing! /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

I want to build my own seeder. It would be a 3 point hitch mounted, 6' to 8', with a roller/cultipacker on the rear. That roller would drive a sprocket/chain drive to run a drop spreader to do the actual seeding.

Here's where I need help. I can use 2 or 3 walk-behind drop spreaders to do the seeding. I have a plan to utilize the shaft's where the wheels would normally be to run my chain drive. I need some decent spreaders.

I would like (in a perfect world) /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif, to find spreaders that are around 40" to 48". If that doesn't happen, 30" x 3 would work. They need to be of fair quality, and the bigger the better.

Anyone know a source? Brand names? HELP!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

Yeah, I know, KRAZIE IDEA /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif (but I will make it happen!)

/ Drop spreader ??????? #2  
I bet something like the attached picture would work pretty well, if you can make it. I can't remember where I found the pic but I think it was either on this site or on Sweet Farm Equip.'s site.

Attachments

• 589289-cultipackseeder.jpg
    589289-cultipackseeder.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 4,723
   / Drop spreader ???????
That's one of the brands I'm looking at "imitating". That's a "Ferguson" seeder. It is made now with the seedbox directly in front of the roller. Since my original post, I have found a source for the drop seeders. Gandy makes 42" units. I plan on taking 2 of them and putting them end to end. I'm sure that I can mount them less than 1-1/2" apart. The drive sprockets can be mounted at each end. That'll give me the width I'm after (84") I can keep the entire width under 8' with no trouble. (ease in hauling) That unit looks like a "Sweet Tractor" photo. Ken Sweet responded to an earlier post of mine with a great deal on one of those Ferguson units.

It just looks like a great "home-made" project to me! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Drop spreader ??????? #4  
I don't know how big the unit in the picture is, or how much it costs. That pretty color would match your tractor pretty well though. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Drop spreader ???????
That appears to be the 6' model. I'm trying to come up with something at least 7' wide. That'll cover the width of my tractor. The 7'er is well over $4000. If I'm spending that much, it'll be a Woods "Super Turf Renovator".

With parts and steel on hand, a few odds and ends I'd need to buy, and the Gandy drop spreaders, I can build one that'll do the job for around $975. /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

That leaves more $$$$$$$$$$$$$$ for the NEXT project /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Drop spreader ??????? #6  
That unit with a 84 inch width is $1995 and we will have 1 ready in about 4-5 days--Using your own labor and parts At $975, you cant go wrong--Pictured in the attachment is also a used 8ft Farnam for $1995 that is very handy for seeding/renovating--Ken Sweet

Attachments

• 589448-farnam8ftrenovatorend1995.JPG
    589448-farnam8ftrenovatorend1995.JPG
    90.5 KB · Views: 1,101
   / Drop spreader ??????? #7  
Another view of the Farnam from the front--Ken Sweet

Attachments

• 589452-farnam8ftrenovatorfront1995.JPG
    589452-farnam8ftrenovatorfront1995.JPG
    64.5 KB · Views: 607
   / Drop spreader ???????
I must have got my prices mixed up. That is a good price on the Furguson seeder. I was thinking more like double your price.....

That "pasture renovator. do you rent them? I have an occational demand for one, but not enough to warrent buying one. I'm about 35 minutes drive from Mundfordville. (Just south of Louisville)

/ Drop spreader ??????? #9  
We dont rent them, We shipped the last used Farnam to Hawaii along with a new disc mower and hay tedder. They are pretty hard to find at a good price.--Ken Sweet

/ Drop spreader ???????
The 7' Ferguson seeder. Are you going to stock that one in, or is it possible for me to pick up at Clarksville, In and save a buck or two?