Homemade Light bar

/ Homemade Light bar #1  

RichS

Silver Member
Tractor
JD4700HST
Here are a couple of pictures of my homemade light bar. Rubber mounted low beam hologen lights. Wired into existing harness with separate toggle switch for rear light. Still needs a little dressing up but functional.. Hasn't been cleared off by all of the low hanging branches either. /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

Rich S.
18-42090-rps_sig1.gif

Attachments

• 37-54780-lights.jpg
    37-54780-lights.jpg
    108 KB · Views: 462
   / Homemade Light bar #2  
looks real good.Big fellas too,gerzillion candle power?I agree that mounting inside the ROPS is the only way ta go if ya got low tree limbs.

/ Homemade Light bar #3  
RichS
Neat idea! I mounted my front one in the same place. The only problem I have is I need some wide flat iron to extend under the light forward so when I look to the side or rear I don't get blinded.
DDT

/ Homemade Light bar
I have the tall ROPS and the light shoots right over my head. I was worried about that as well {turning my head and getting blinded} but I angled them so the beam hits 10 feet or so in front of tractor. If I had the short ROPS, would probably need blinders on.
I was having a real problem seeing with the FEL and OEM lights. If the bucket was out of the way of the lights, then it was in the way so I couldn't see. If it was out of the way so I could see it was in the way of the lights. Grrrrrrr.
It was a pretty simple set-up, the lights are Wagner H4703 low beam headlights. 55watts, 12.8 volts. So are pretty bright but it doesn't look like a jet coming in for a landing.
The cases are all rubber and have a lip on the lower side in front of the lamp that protrudes an inch or so. Maybe that is why I am not getting blinded?!?
The angle iron is a left-over piece from the Garage door brackets. Tons of holes just have to pick one. Wires run through the ROPS so no need to have wire ties, tape, etc. Feed it through existing holes in back of ROPS and secured with rubber insert to avoid chaffing. {sp}
This is probably the part which will irk some people. Drilled and tapped two 3/8 in holes in the bottom of the ROPS to hold the bracket.

Rich S.
18-42090-rps_sig1.gif

/ Homemade Light bar #5  
A solution for "blinding light" when turning around etc is to make a shroud or shade with that thin black foam that goes in the bottom of tool box drawers and attach it with a long worm-gear clamp to the light. It's thin and pliable and no big deal if you bump it.

RCH

/ Homemade Light bar #6  
RichS,
They look good. I did mine almost the same way. I used a piece of aluminum angle and put two lights forward and two backward. It’s amazing how much nicer it is to work in the evening and night when you can see. I also did the no no thing, but I drilled for number 10 self-tapping screws.

18-32460-1250sig.gif

/ Homemade Light bar #7  
Rch
Thanks, That's a good idea. I've been trying to figure out a way for thin sheet metal but thoght that could slice one of my limbs, would't want to get red all over my JD.
ddt