Tilt or Tilt and Draft Control

/ Tilt or Tilt and Draft Control #1  

Laminarman

Gold Member
Tractor
TC40DA
I have a TC40DA with a hydraulically controlled top link. Seriously thinking of getting a side hydraulic and another remote installed. While it's in the shop, should I add draft control? I will be doing plowing, up to 6-10 acres/year, plus grading, landscaping, spreading rock/stones...etc as well as snow removal. I don't want to haul it back afterwards to have it done. There's a discount to get it all done at once. I have a tough time plowing without it, but I'm still a novice.

/ Tilt or Tilt and Draft Control #2  
What does it cost to have draft control added?

/ Tilt or Tilt and Draft Control
$600 for the draft control. He'll do it for a little less since it's there for other work (side link, remote, 100 hour service).

/ Tilt or Tilt and Draft Control #4  
I would say do it, I dont know about the priceing though??? By that I really mean I dont know /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif
You could do it yourself since some of the plumbing is there. I have used it on rentals and have found that once I got used to it I really liked it.

/ Tilt or Tilt and Draft Control #5  
I've tried to use draft control for other than plowing and I think there is a technique to it. I was sort of able to do some grading but I need more practice.

/ Tilt or Tilt and Draft Control #6  
Will hyd top/tilt affect draft control? My draft is sensed by toplink and using a hoe has knocked it out of whack. I know it is invaluable for 3-14 plow now.

/ Tilt or Tilt and Draft Control #7  
As you mentioned.. the toplink is used to sense the draft on most draft hyds tractors. The length of the toplink is also critical for plowing. There should be no need to adjust the toplink ( and angle of cut) while plowing. At most, you would make your first adjustment, and then test furrow.. perhaps a small correction.. and that's it.. just plow using that length.. You don't have to constantly adjust it. A turnbuckle style toplink works fine for this. If you have topntilt.. should work ok.. except that you need to 'leave it alone' while plowing.

Perhaps when discing with a 3pt disc some toplink control may be nice.. as well as having hyd controled gang settings.. etc.

Soundguy

/ Tilt or Tilt and Draft Control #8  
On the old (Ten series) large JD Cuts - Top & Tilt and Draft Control were mutually exclusive options - but I never could find out why. Without an exact answer, I assumed it was just simple physical interference problems with the stock JD parts used on the two options. The draft control setup moves the top link mount point back and down compared to the stock position. Since you can as Soundguy said just 'not use' the Top&Tilt while plowing, and set the draft control to effectively "off" when using the Top&Tilt, I'm guessing that the major problem was one of the factory hydraulic upper link being simply too long to work with the modified mount point.

/ Tilt or Tilt and Draft Control
Shoot, you guys are gittin me all confused. I just want to plow without skipping and digging deep on my less than flat land.

/ Tilt or Tilt and Draft Control #10  
from what I understand the draft control would be great for plowing and other resistance related work. Should make for a consistant depth and some added safety. Having said that, I have never used it before.

This is a good read on why it would be good for plowing:

http://users.netlink.com.au/~fergy/draftcont.html