Finally adding guage wheels to LS Rake

/ Finally adding guage wheels to LS Rake #1  

deere_x475guy

Gold Member
Tractor
JD 4110
Evening guys and gals. I finally got around to starting on guage wheels for the land scape rake. I have over 4 acres to rake the rocks out of and level for planting trees and pheasant forever mix over the next weekend. I welded some 2 1/2 x 3/16ths' tubing to the rake to make a receivers for the 2 x 1/4" tubing to slide into. The pins that let the wheels pivot are 3/4' dia and the bushings they ride in are 1"OD and .75 ID. The wheels pivot very smoothly.
[image]http://www.tractorbynet.com/photos/showphoto.php/photo/1479[/image]

Hmm..dang can't get the image to appear...it's on the links page also.

/ Finally adding guage wheels to LS Rake #2  
Nice job. Sort of looks like the ones I built for my rake. Complete design and build post can be found HERE .

/ Finally adding guage wheels to LS Rake
Mad...I followed your project when you were posting. Nice job! How far back are your wheels? How is it working out for you with the wheels set that far back?

/ Finally adding guage wheels to LS Rake #4  
deere_x475guy,

Looks good. I like the way both you and Madref have the wheels back as far as you do. After seeing your photos this morning, I took a look at mine and the stock KK gage wheels seem to be much closer to the rake tines, with both of yours about double the distance away.

I think that should help when you want to level things with the rake. Bringing more of the "road grader effect" into play...

/ Finally adding guage wheels to LS Rake #5  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( How far back are your wheels? How is it working out for you with the wheels set that far back? )</font>

About 2' from the back of the tines and the stringers are about 3' long in total. I haven't used the rake much since I added the wheels but for what little I did use it, the wheels work fine.

Thanks Henro. I need to get this finished up this evening when I get home. The wife and I have 225 trees and 50 shrubs and bushes to pick up early Friday morning. We both took Friday and Monday off hoping to get everything in the ground. I have 2 acres that I subsoiled and disked. I need the rake to get the rest of the stones off and leveled out.

/ Finally adding guage wheels to LS Rake #7  
<font color="blue"> The wife and I have 225 trees and 50 shrubs and bushes to pick up early Friday morning. </font>

Somebody has a real chunk of work cut out for them.

/ Finally adding guage wheels to LS Rake #8  
<font color="blue"> Somebody has a real chunk of work cut out for them. </font>

Isn't that the truth!!! /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Last Friday the wife and I brought home 25 4-year bare root Norway spruce transplants and 12 more in pots...

Even with the 14" auger on the PHD...when you figure in trying to put the roots in the ground properly, watering, mulching...I bet I spent 12 hours before the deed was done!

225 trees and 50 shrubs/bushes???? Holy heck! Glad it is not me worrying about getting them into the ground!

Get a good night's sleep Thursday night, deere_x475guy! I got a feeling you are going to need it!

awh...I should have said that they are only 12 to 18" tall and 50 of them are 3'. We got them at the county conservation district. They sell them every spring. The soil has been worked up real well now and I don't suspect it should be to bad....just a good aching back and legs..:))))

I did finish the landscape rake this evening and gave it a try. I am very satisfied with the results. Really done a nice job of raking up the rocks and loose clumps of weeds. Still need to paint and that will probably be next weekend if the trees are planted by then.

/ Finally adding guage wheels to LS Rake #10  
Is there any place that you can buy the gauge wheel spindle assembly by itself. I have the tires, tubing etc.. but I'm trying not to pay the price thru a dealer and have no welding capabilities /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Thanks - Sarge