Fuel Gauge?

/ Fuel Gauge? #1  

JimCald

Tractor
Kubota/BX1500
I want to add a fuel gauge to my Kubota BX1500. It appears that the gauge from a BX1830 or 2230 would fit into the hole where to current low fuel lamp is, but I don't know about the sender. Any suggestions?

Jim

/ Fuel Gauge? #3  
What about one of those lawnmower gas tank caps with indicator built in.

soundguy

/ Fuel Gauge? #4  
I'm not impressed with the fuel guage on my BX. The only time it is accurate is when I am parked in the garage. My property is hilly and the fuel level fluctuates so much that I have no idea how much fuel that I have unless I park on the level. You may be better off trying to locate an after market unit or take the cap off and look in the tank.

John

/ Fuel Gauge?
The opening on the BX is quite large, about 1/2 again as big as the one that was on my old Craftsman, so I don;t think that I could find one big enough, but I have thought of it.

Cutting the tank is not an option either, I just though that the sender from the larger BX machines could be adapted to the 1500's tank.

Jim

/ Fuel Gauge? #6  
Redrock manufacturing adapted that style of gas/cap gauge for ford tractors like the 8n and NAA.. I was figuring on something more like that.. not the oem lawnmower application.. etc., as the tractor gas cap is more like a car gas cap.. etc.

soundguy

/ Fuel Gauge?
I'll look into it and let you know what I find out. Thanks.

Jim

/ Fuel Gauge? #8  
I don't know if this will work for you but I took an old riding mower tank fuel gauge that was built into the cap or lid and bought myself another lid to fit my tractor (Just in Case my Ideal didn't work). Then I used the old lid and took the mechanism from the lawn mower tractor cap and modified it to work. It had a spiraled rod in the center of two long rods that swiveled with a foam like float on it. as the level went down it spiraled the center rod that is attached to the needle that indicated fuel level. No Holes in tank and Worked Great. I only have to open lid in hood now and look at fuel level rather than open tank. I also made a filter for my fuel funnel because I had to remove the one from the tank to be able to use this type of fuel gauge. One day, if I find the time.... I will work on one that is in the lid that attaches to a gauge to put on the dash of the tractor.

Jim Bonham
864-647-9810

bsm357@aol.com

/ Fuel Gauge?
That is the direction I am thinking of going. I contacted Redrock as Soundguy suggested, but the cap they sell will not fit the BX, which has a screw thread, rather than a "radiator cap" style.

I think this will be ideal for the BX as the cap sits on the rear fender and very easy to see form the seat.

How long was the rod assembly on the cap you uesd?

Jim

/ Fuel Gauge? #10  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( That is the direction I am thinking of going. I contacted Redrock as Soundguy suggested, but the cap they sell will not fit the BX, which has a screw thread, rather than a "radiator cap" style.

I think this will be ideal for the BX as the cap sits on the rear fender and very easy to see form the seat.

How long was the rod assembly on the cap you uesd?

Jim )</font>

If I remember correctly it was about 16 inches long.

The cap that screws on... is it inside threads in the throat of the tank or is it outside threads on the throat of the tank?

Lowes sales on that screws on with outside threads that fits a five gallon plastic tank. It is used on their 18 hp garden tractors.

I am not familiar with your tractor but if I was I am sure I could find something or engineer something to work for you.

Jim Bonham
864-647-9810

bsm357@aol.com