Building a 3point backhoe subframe

/ Building a 3point backhoe subframe #1  

Bigbear

Silver Member
Tractor
Jepe 354
Picking up steel today ($300) should have some extra. In the picture (not to scale nor very good) the blue color is 2x4x1/4 box steel. My back wheels have been set out so there is room between tires and tractor. 2 pcs go to the FEL bracket with pins or bolts. Another going across and bolted to the drawbar bracket. The next pc back will be for attachment to the existing lower links (on the backhoe). On my backhoe, besides the 2 lower and top link, there are 2 upper attachments right above the lower ones. So the plan is, to have the subframe mounted, and then attach backhoe with these 4 pins.
The long main beams will sit right up under the rear axle (square axle at this point) and have a sorta U shape going over them made from the same box steel.
I will try and take pictures from start to finish.
<font color="red"> Is this overkill, or is there such a thing? </font>

Attachments

• 696144-354backview.jpg
    696144-354backview.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 2,035
   / Building a 3point backhoe subframe
I started the project last night with the brackets that will connect the subframe to the FEL mount. Since I will have several pictures that are large, please click HERE to see the progress pictures. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Well, welded up a few more pcs to the puzzle, sure would be nice to have a picture of the finished puzzle. The link is Here for project pictures.

/forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif Kinda disappointed the thread did not generate the input I thought it would, maybe some thoughts on design, or welding is what I envisioned this might inspire from the fabricators out there.

/forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif Right or Wrong, <font color="red"> I'll Getter Done. </font> /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

/ Building a 3point backhoe subframe #4  
Hi Bigbear,

I like the looks of your project. I have been considering the same thing for myself. It looks like a lot of work and I need to figure out if I can design it so that it stays out of the way when I don't have the BH on.

Scott

Thanks rebel300r, it has been quite a project, especially with the 98 degree temps and humidity. I pretty much have it done, no paint yet. I tried every way I could to keep the mount on the tractor with backhoe detached, but couldn't figure out how to make it strong enough and still have the 3 point arms to move down far enough. But, I can now lift the back end off the ground and not feel like it will break, or break off the top link mount while driving down the road. Overall, I am pleased with the results. Posting more pictures tonight. I did use 2 top link adjustable rods as part of the hookup, that way I can tilt the backhoe forward or backward if needbe. And the backhoe has no welding on it, just hooks up in 4 places.
It's well worth the effort. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Building a 3point backhoe subframe #6  
I can't believe it has taken this long but I finally hong the backhoe yesterday. The subframe looks ok right now but I will work it a bit before I call it quits. I have yet to clean it up or paint it but once I do, I will post photos. What a project.

Scott

Good to hear your up and running Scott, it's a great feeling just knowing you did it yourself, no matter how long it takes. Go ahead and post the before paint pics, we can't wait. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif BEAR

/ Building a 3point backhoe subframe #8  
BigBear -

AMAZING Project, WOW !!!!!!!!!!!!!

I bet you are extremely satisfied with your accomplishment and it must give you peace of mind that you are not going to tear up you tractor with the BH. I will someday do this and refer to your design as a starting point. The use of the adjustable links is brilliant. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Great Job,

Larry G

/ Building a 3point backhoe subframe #9  
Hi BigBear
That is a fantastic job. The design and workmanship are both fantastic. Let us know what your going to do next.

Don

/ Building a 3point backhoe subframe #10  
BigBear; For some reason I'd missed this thread. Most excellent job! Was your backhoe originally designed for TPH mount? I may want to build a subframe for my TC35DA. NH wants over $7K for a subframe mounted hoe, and if I could find another brand, and adapt it like you, I'd be very happy.
Happy hoeing to ya! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif