More Magnets

/ More Magnets #1  

TonyC

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota 1997 L3600DT 4WD with FEL
For all you magnet fans out there, I just found another interesting option. Forcefield.com is undoubtedly the king of magnets but I just found some interesting ones at Hartville Tool. They sell round rare earth magnets up to 1" diameter (1 inchers cost 2.10). The neat part is the cups they sell to mount them. They are made to fit the magnets and are held by a single screw in the middle, or epoxy will always work too. The magnets are on their website at http://www.hartvilletool.com/product.php?search_id=10369 I have attached a photo of the paper catalog page showing the cups. Just thought someone might be interested

Attachments

• 37-68636-HartvilleToolMagnetCup.jpg
    37-68636-HartvilleToolMagnetCup.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 240
   / More Magnets
I am going to order a few and try them on the cup. I'll post the results (if successful!). By the way, I just noticed on the photos of your ROP rack that in one set you had square stock and in the other you used angle iron. I thought I was seeing things at first. I take it the angle iron was the final choice?

/ More Magnets #4  
<font color=blue>I'll post the results (if successful!).</font color=blue>

If you wanna be a card-carrying TBN memmber in good standing, Tony, you have to report both the successes and the failures. /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif Lord knows I've posted my share of failures and mishaps, and I bet in each case I saved at least one person from following in those particular footsteps. /w3tcompact/icons/crazy.gif

<font color=blue>I take it the angle iron was the final choice?</font color=blue>

Yep. I decided the angle iron gave me more horizontal and vertical surface area to play with. Might be stronger, too.

HarvSig.gif

/ More Magnets
I hear ya, Harv and I agree. It sounds like most of us are a mix of designer, tinkerer, inventor etc. With that comes some failures, that is if you're really trying hard! It's a good point you make about posting failures. I guess they can be as valuable a teaching tool as successes. Assuming that's true, I will surely pick up the nickname of "professor" before long!

/ More Magnets #6  
Has anyone tried a magnetic knife bar for holding 3PH pins and clips while changing implements? I'm always looking for a place to keep the various clips and pins for all the hitch mounts and adjustments and though one fo those magnetic bars that holds kitchen knives mounted in the back somewhere might just do the trick.

Anyone tried it?

/ More Magnets
I've never tried it but I don't see why it wouldn't work. Sounds like a good idea to me. The only question is if the magnet is strong enough. Those pins are a little heavy and with all the bouncing, a kitchen knife strip may not make it.

/ More Magnets #8  
I bought a couple of the computer disk drive magnets from ForceField (Don't remember the part number). I stuck them to each of the fenders of my Kubota. They hold clips and hitch pins just fine while you're changing implements. Their attraction to the fender is stronger than the pins so they stay in place when you pick up the pins.

18-32378-billanim.gif

/ More Magnets #9  
<font color=blue>anyone tried a magnetic knife bar</font color=blue>

Yep, got one on the back of my ROPS now for that purpose; doesn't work worth a hoot because the magnet isn't strong enough and round pins and clips don't give me enough surface contact for them to hold very well, so I'm going to take it off.

Bird