Adapt 6ft snowplow to 3 pt hitch???

/ Adapt 6ft snowplow to 3 pt hitch??? #1  

53gravely

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota 7610 HSD
Has anyone ever adapted a 6' jeep plow to their 3 point hitch?
Any advice or photos?
I'm thinking of putting Cat 1 pins thru the A frame and still being able to angle it. It would have to be pretty far back to clear the tires when angled 30 degrees.
Will the lack of downward force on the 3 point arms be a problem or will the 350 pounds of the plow be sufficient to hold it down?

/ Adapt 6ft snowplow to 3 pt hitch??? #2  
Sounds like you've taken into account what you should. With it as near as you're proposing, you won't be able to turn it all the way around like most rear blades can. I think the 350 lbs, for a 6 ft blade is probably average and although maybe a little on the lighter end, should still be OK. I know, some of the rather lightweight blades KK and others make, are just as light.

/ Adapt 6ft snowplow to 3 pt hitch??? #3  
Never seen one but I'm thinking that you would have an interesting project. You could go to TSC and get a set of their replacement weld on linkage balls. Then weld one on each side of the snowplow frame. You could use a piece of 2X2X1/4" square tube welded to the snowplow frame for the vertical hookup to your adjustable upper link or keep it simple and attach the plow chain at this point to give you some additional flexibility. A single rear remote on your tractor is all that you would need to power up both single action hydraulic angling plow cylinders. Is any of this making sense to you? /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

/ Adapt 6ft snowplow to 3 pt hitch???
I was thinking that having an actual high moldboard snow blade on the back and the loader on the front would be darn near ideal for "snow management".
I had my eyes on this used 6' 6" Snowbear electric winch plow (see photo)on Ebay....it started @ $75 which is reasonable for a fun project...it went for $350, not even complete....phooey!
As I don't YET own a welder, I was thinking of bolting it to a standard Cat 1 drawbar and having a chain to the top link. It is manual angle which saves me (hydraulically impaired) having to plumb remotes and controls, granted, that would be slick!
I think I can pick up a rusted old 6' Meyers off a CJ jeep up in the country pretty cheap and do the same bacic thing and the heavier gauge of the metal on the blade may handle chores like pushing gravel too.
Maybe convert it to manual angle or plumb remotes.
.....ideas, theories, Gentlemen?

Attachments

• 767982-a7_1.jpg
    767982-a7_1.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 1,675
   / Adapt 6ft snowplow to 3 pt hitch??? #5  
I'd be much more concerned about the 'sideways' forces on the 3pt arms and the castings that they attach to if trying to mount a plow like that on the 3pt arms.
Let us know how it works out, please.

However, I wouldn't do it, but instead spend the time and energy of thought to design it for the front end. Much easier on the tractor and the body, and much, much more fun to plow snow. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

There is no 'downward' force put to a 'jeep' plow, so suspect it is not an issue on the 3pt.

This being my first toy...sorry, TRACTOR with a 3pt hitch and having never used ground-engaging stuff, I don't fully understand the forces on the three point.....If the plow were attached to a Cat 1 drawbar with a full 26" spread and the check chains (turnbuckles) are tight so there's no play how would it be different forces than using a back blade in reverse? Plus a snowplow has trip springs?

The reason I want it on the back is to keep the bucket free for making huge snow piles for the kids' snowcastles and a big starting ramp for their sledding hill, ski jumps, etc.
/forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

/ Adapt 6ft snowplow to 3 pt hitch??? #7  
The 3 point was made to pull not push. It can be done but there have been more than a few TBN members that have also bent lower lift arms.

/ Adapt 6ft snowplow to 3 pt hitch??? #8  
I can attest to bending my lower 3pt arms on my old tractor. I ended up taking them off and straightening them out in a hydraulic press. It was surprisingly easy to bend them.

Have you considered adapting the plow to use on your FEL?

Kevin

/ Adapt 6ft snowplow to 3 pt hitch??? #9  
I'm not sure I entirely agree. It certainly is stronger, like most steel arms, in tension, than in compression, but beyond that, it has plenty of pushing capability. I think where people run into problems is when they hit something while pushing, especially with a little momentum. Loads of folks push snow, gravel, dirt, etc, with no problems.

So while the trip springs will handle rough ground...don't try to use one side of the plow to move a frozen-solid bank back?
That could be done w/ the loader.

Now further stupid questions:
1) whats a good price on a functioning 6' or 6'6" jeep plow albeit rusty? Couple hundred bucks?

2) what's involved in plumbing 1 pair of remotes to the back of a Kubota 7610? How much $ approx?