FEL level bucket gauge

/ FEL level bucket gauge #1  

Cormac

I have a bush hog 2425QT loader and want to make a device that will quickly tell me that I have the bucket level. The 2425QT is obsolete and the parts pricing for the level gauge is not readily available so I am guessing it may be overpriced. It is a simple rod and tube. The dealer will get me a price on Monday so until then.... it is not exactly rocket science so does anyone have pictures of the set ups you use. I have seen some that go from the bucket to loader arm and others that mount to the cylinder and shaft. The cylinder and shaft set up looks simple and clean. Pros and cons of each? Anyone have any suggestions? How about a picture? Thanks!

/ FEL level bucket gauge #2  
The best level indicator that I have seen was on a Woods loader. I am going to make one myself as soon as I have the time. It is very simple, yet allows you to see the bucket angle both above and below level. I wish I had a picture but, since I don't I will do my best to describe it. It is nothing more than a 3/8" diameter rod with a 90* bend at one end and a V shaped bend near the other end. The 90* bend goes through a hole one the bucket and is attached with a cotter key. The rest of the rod goes up the loader arm and goes through a hole in a piece of angle iron attached near the bend in the arm. At the point where it goes through the angle iron the rod is bent in a V shape. When the bucket is level the bottom of the V is at the hole in the angle piece. As the bucket is curled the V is either above or below the hole in the angle. The angle iron peice I saw had a slot where it bolted to the loader arm to allow adjustment so the angle could be adjusted to get the V in the right spot. It is so simple and yet so effective. I wonder if anyone on TBN with a Woods loader has this setup. Maybe they can post a picture and comment.

/ FEL level bucket gauge #3  
there is a post on page 4 of the customization forum by BX2230Dude about a home made fel level indicator. sorry i dont know how to put in the link yet.

/ FEL level bucket gauge #4  
Here's a picture showing just how simple the level indicator is. When the bend in the traveling rod moves to the fixed indicator on the cylinder the bucket is then level.

Attachments

• 774721-5409dx_3.jpg
    774721-5409dx_3.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 898
   / FEL level bucket gauge #5  
Yep. That is what I am talking about. The one I saw was mounted differently but worked exactly like the one in your picture. Seems like the perfect setup but, that is just my opinion.

/ FEL level bucket gauge #6  
Not to take the thread off topic.. Last fall I rented a New Holland with a loader for a week. It had a rod level gauge but I never was able to figure out how it helped.

After marking it with tape and trying to make use of it finally gave up. It would read different depending on the position of the loader arms. Guess if the tractor was on perfectly level ground it would work.

After the first day I gave up on the gauge. Discovered if I droped the bucket, curled it down till the loader arms raised a tad (told me the front of the bucket was on the ground) than backed off the curl a tad the bucket was level. My 3000 doesn't have a level gauge and this little trick seems to work well with it.

I do like the V rod gauge but not sure it would be worth the trouble to build and install. What did I miss on the New Holland..

/ FEL level bucket gauge #7  
If my rig had not come from NH with one of these indicators already installed I would have added one myself. They are relatively simple, easy to construct, and work pretty well when you need a level bucket or pallet forks.

Let me know if you need a close up of the piece attached to the hydraulic cylinder. It consists of a U-bolt and a bent piece of metal. The U-bolt attach's the bracket and also allows the piece to move (before final tightening) so that you can get the adjustment correct in relationship to the bucket orientation.