Bought an old 7 1/2 foot Meyers plow for tractor

/ Bought an old 7 1/2 foot Meyers plow for tractor #1  

MX5000

Silver Member
Tractor
2003 Kubota L48
I just picked up an old 7 1/2 foot Meyers snow plow for $150.00 to modify and install on my 2005 Kubota MX5000. I figure once I know how I'm going to mount it to the tractor, I can modify it, then have it sand blasted and painted maybe Kubota orange (probably a similar color from an automotive supply store). Has anyone had a blade sand blasted? I have no idea what it's going to cost. I will most likely have a subframe made up to hang the plow on. I'll pick up a chop saw and tack together something and have a competent welder finish it up. I bought an arc welder a year ago and still haven't run a 220vac circuit to the garage to run the welder. I've never been to a steel supplier and don't know what stock to ask for. I could figure it out if I had to, but if anyone knows what is the best type to use, ie. "C" channel, boxbeam, whatever. I'll order new angle pistons, hoses and locate a used "A" frame to weld onto the subframe to raise and lower the plow. I don't want to put a quick attach bracket on the loader. I'm afraid I'd bend the loader arms. I have a 300 foot uneven dirt driveway with some ruts. Any helpful words of wisdom are welcome.

Howard

/ Bought an old 7 1/2 foot Meyers plow for tractor
I found some other threads about installing snow plows on tractors.

Quack Attach:
link

<font color="red">EDIT - fixed long url </font>

Another:
link

Another:
link

Another:
link

I actually installed this subframe for a plow I installed on my B7610 before trading in the tractor. Wish they had one for a MX5000.

link

link

I was thinking, I could make a subframe that I could run the whole length under the tractor and connect the snow plow on the front when I need it and hook my backhoe on the back when I need it (currently using a 3pt. hitch bracket (yes, I've heard all the horror stories about 3pt. hitch backhoes)). I could leave the subframe under the tractor as a belly pan. I could use receiver style trailer hitch brackets on the back for the backhoe (to install / pull resonably fast) and some pins on the front for the snow plow. I could remove the bucket and install a QA bracket so I could remove the bucket for visibility and hang a chain off the QA bracket and connect it to the snow plow frame to raise and lower the snow plow. That would allow me to leave the loader on while I snow plow and take care of the frame and hydraulic ram to raise and lower the plow. Now I have a game plan...

Howard

/ Bought an old 7 1/2 foot Meyers plow for tractor #9  
when adding a url to your post please use a title - not the long url again (second prompt on the instant markup choice){url=http://www.whatever.com} <font color="red">title here </font> {/url}

Replace the {} with sqaure brackets.

/ Bought an old 7 1/2 foot Meyers plow for tractor #10  
A late comment... the sandblasting estimates I rec'd ranged from $150-$400 for blade and frame, and required owner transportation to/from their location (couldn't find a 'mobile' service). This was right at the beginning of the winter season and it was apparent from the wait times they had plenty of business from the commercial snowplowing contractors stacked up and weren't offering any bargains. I just primed mine and intend to deal with it next summer when the prices stabilize and I can cut a better deal/swap.