El-Cheapo strobes

/ El-Cheapo strobes #1  

JustGary

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota L2800 HST
From what I have read lately on TBN, I thought that a few of you might have an interest in cheap strobes. The reviews on these strobes indicate that they work very well, but might have weak mountings. They use xenon lamps, so I imagine they're very bright. I think that they are cheap enough to try and throw away when you hit something and break one. Of course, if you never hit that something, you'll love your cheap strobes!

They carry them in white, blue, green, and red if you really want to do a number on your rig. Darn, no orange! As always, check your local laws before using colors besides white and amber out in public.

Oh, and they also carry 30A automotive relays and holders for you to use when hooking up your lighting. I ordered a couple to use for mine. Don't forget a fuse holder also.

- Just Gary

/ El-Cheapo strobes #2  
wow, that is cheap.

I got my snow plowing strobe from a tractor dealer used. It was $60 regularly $130 and all it needed was a new plug.

/ El-Cheapo strobes #3  
I have been thinking of a set of those strobes that go in the flasers like DOT useses on there pickup trucks

/ El-Cheapo strobes #4  
Just Gary,
I have bought a couple of those. Yes the mounting is very weak. 2 little machine screws glued into the bottom of the unit. I broke 2 of them in mounting them. The flash rate is a little overstated at 120 flashes/min. That would be twice per second. I really don't think they accomplished that. They do carry the Orange, the Strobe-3A is amber.

/ El-Cheapo strobes #5  
Hi Inspector, long time, no talk! On these lights, I was wondering if it something that you could remove the guts and put inside the existing tractor light housing? Any thoughts on that? I mean since you guys say the mounting system is kind of junky, maybe moving the internals to a better, existing housing would work. Just a thought. I might order a couple for my tractor just to try it out. I never use the turn signals anyway, so I might just wire these into the turn signal switch and bypass the flasher. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Project # 3,547,362 - install strobes on tractor

There, it's on my list... too bad I'm only on #12 right now /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ El-Cheapo strobes #6  
I did the swap thing Chuck and was happy for the most part. But I couldn't see any way to just put the guts into the original housing. The strobes were epoxied on the bottom, so destroying was how you got it apart.

/ El-Cheapo strobes #7  
<font color="blue">They carry them in white, blue, green, and red if you really want to do a number on your rig. Darn, no orange! As always, check your local laws before using colors besides white and amber out in public.
JustGary
***************[/color </font>
My darn is no purple or violet.

/ El-Cheapo strobes #8  
I ordered a couple of these the other day. I haven't decided where to mount them yet. Might do like you said and swap the fender lights, or maybe mount them on the back of the fenders. It seems that I'm out on the road more and more going from the house to the barn, so I don't have to run through the grass all the time, and anything I can do to make the tractor (and me) easier to see, the better. Even though we are out in a rural area where there are a lot of slow moving vehicles, people just don't seem to pay attention while driving. I was almost hit last year while mowing with my Cub Cadet, when a car passed another car in front of my house, and came about two feet into my yard . That day I would have rather had a rocket launcher, forget the strobes! /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif

I looked into building my own strobes a while back, but by the time you buy all the parts, it came to about 25 buck a piece... This seems like a better way to go. I wonder about the vibration of the fenders though. I guess if a standard incandescent bulb can hold up, these should have no problem.

Thanks for the info,
Chuck

/ El-Cheapo strobes #9  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I did the swap thing Chuck and was happy for the most part. But I couldn't see any way to just put the guts into the original housing. The strobes were epoxied on the bottom, so destroying was how you got it apart. )</font>

I forgot to ask, did you bypass the flasher, or did you leave it connected? Not sure if these lights would even draw enough current to make the old mechanical flasher work anyway? Just curious /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ El-Cheapo strobes
I got one in the other day. They are smaller than I thought they would be. I'll try to post a photo soon, and also test the flash rate. I'm thinking that I'll probably make a magnet mount so I can just plop it on the ROPS when I'm out tending the road.

- Just Gary