Fuel filter/heater

/ Fuel filter/heater #21  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( </font><font color="blueclass=small">( Fuel flow is so low, you're just not going to keep things warm by warming the incoming fuel )</font>

i know the engine doesnt neccesarily use much fuel, but alot of fuel does circulate in most engines, the kenworth T800 and T300 trucks we have at work all warm the fuel, i believe some of them do so by flowing it thru the ECM and cooling the ECM that way and warming the fuel at the same time, but that may have been just some of the earlier ones. the fuel tank tho will infact become warm after running all day )</font>Most (if not all?) diesels have a return fuel line to the tank where as not all the fuel is burned. The excess fuel having been warmed by the engine is sent back to the tanks there by warming the fuel in the tank. Some engines apparently warm the fuel a bit more than others. I say this because years ago, I was driving a Mack with a 318 DD. Most of the Macks the company used had a Mack 250hp inline six. They would freeze up while driving while my DD never did.

/ Fuel filter/heater #22  
CP, I didn't read the rest of the replies. you are in Kansas? You are wasting your money. Put some fuel treatment (Power Service, others) in your fuel, which is a good idea anyhow, and change your factory filter at the specified times.

Forget about the cold-weather gadgets. I'm in Minnesota, been 23 below when I had to run tractors here, I haven't fooled with any of those gadgets, & run at least 70% #2 fuel. It's more about maintenence that the gadgets you bolt on. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

--->Paul

/ Fuel filter/heater #23  
<font color="blue"> You are wasting your money. Put some fuel treatment (Power Service, others) in your fuel, which is a good idea anyhow, and change your factory filter at the specified times. </font>
That pretty well sums it up. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif That is unless a fuel heater is something that you want to have and try. That’s all right too.
I'm not to awful far southeast of you and PowerService is all that I ever use. I go through several hundred gallons of diesel a year and have never had a problem except when I used some out of a can that wasn’t treated. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

/ Fuel filter/heater #24  
Jerry:

If he wants to spend the money that bad, he can send you half and me half.....we'll spend it for him. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

It's cold here tonite. I just put a pint of PS in each tank on the Western Star and a hundred gallons of No.2 on top of each pint in each tank.

/ Fuel filter/heater #25  
<font color="blue"> If he wants to spend the money that bad, he can send you half and me half.....we'll spend it for him. </font>
Cool. I can go for that.

<font color="blue"> It's cold here tonite. I just put a pint of PS in each tank on the Western Star and a hundred gallons of No.2 on top of each pint in each tank. </font>
That's what I do but with a three quart gallon /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif every time I fill my overhead tank.

/ Fuel filter/heater #26  
Charlie,
Looking at those replies, I could be sorry you posted, but I'm not. Here's my take based on very limited experience with fuel heaters in a 93 F-250. If the heater works it runs fine at any temps in Maryland, now-a-days. I can forget the PS at 0* F and be fine with the current winter blends. In 1994, before the winter blends were as reliable, I lost the harness and fuel filter heater. At 24* F with no heater, I could run about 5 or 6 miles, belch smoke, shutter, and park it. Wait 20 or so minutes for the engine, that now had some heat, but no moving air, and it would fire up and run another 5 or 6 miles. Thought I'd dump some PS in, cut it with 15% kero, and cure it until I got it in for service. Worked to about 15* F, but at that temp, same results, parked. We don't often fight the marginal winter blends these days, but was a time that they weren't so good. That harness and heater have worked flawlessly now for 12 years, but if it fails with a standard winter blend, no kero cut, and no PS, I'm guessing it's parked at any temps much south of 20* F. Hope I never find out. Some vehicles need the heater. My F 250 can't do without it.