Fuel filter/heater

/ Fuel filter/heater #1  

cp1969

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota L3000DT
Didn't know whether to put this under the Kubota section or here.

I am thinking about replacing the factory fuel filter on my Kubota L300DT with this:

Fleetguard fuel filter/heater

or this:
FM100 from Stanadyne

Though I think I like the Fleetguard model better, I have no idea of its price and it may be too tall to fit where the Kubota filter is now. It is a unique design in that the filter resides upside down in a clear bowl thru which you can see how clogged the filter is--this could be invaluable in the winter. But it also has a heater so gelling problems should be all but eliminated, even if you use un-winterized fuel.

The Stanadyne model isn't all that bad, either. It has an optional heater and an optional clear water collection bowl. I think it can be had for around $80, complete with heater.

Bear in mind, I've had zero problems with the factory setup, so this could very well be a waste of money.

Opinions?

/ Fuel filter/heater #2  
IMHO, you are wasting your money. Why not just treat the fuel which is a good idea anyway. Plug the tractor in for a few hours prior to using it which will go a long way in longevity of engine life. Spend that money on oil, oil filter and fuel filter changes. Keep it simple!

/ Fuel filter/heater #3  
It's an added protection.

My 10 year old Dodge truck has a fuel heater, water seperator and water indicating light as standard from the factory. I drain a little out of the fuel filter every fillup just as a precaution.

Egon /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Fuel filter/heater #4  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Bear in mind, I've had zero problems with the factory setup, so this could very well be a waste of money.

Opinions? )</font>

It is a waste of money. Get a couple jugs of fuel additive. If you really want to blow the money, send it to me and I'll put it to good use.

/ Fuel filter/heater #5  
It's one more fitting to leak. Treat the fuel with some Howe's and treat your engine to some extra lubricity etc. I have a Detroit Diesel Series 60 (500hp/1650tq) in my bus conversion motorhome , the only time I have been dead in the road so far was from a leaking water-separating fuel filter. My New Holland gelled once at 5deg F . I added 1 gal kerosene to the 5gals of diesel int the tank, turned on the block heater, blew a torpedo heater on the engine for a couple hours and it started- without changing fuel filters etc. I have had to re assemble the fuel filter twice on the tractor through the years after i replaced fuel filters for routine maintanance and it leaked after re-assembly . The bowl/filter/Oring requires a precise fit or it leaks - I wouldn't want to do it at 10deg F......Keep it Simple

/ Fuel filter/heater #6  
If the fuel is going to jell in the filter, it will jell in the fuel line leading to it. The heated filter will not solve the problem.

Harry K

/ Fuel filter/heater
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( If the fuel is going to jell in the filter, it will jell in the fuel line leading to it. The heated filter will not solve the problem.

Harry K )</font>

Not true.

/ Fuel filter/heater
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( It's one more fitting to leak. )</font> Where's the extra fitting? They have an in and out, so does the Kubota.

/ Fuel filter/heater #9  
Charlie:

Get up on the wrong side of the bed this morning.....please explain your 2 replies, I am curious in the least.

1. If the fuel is below the cloud point, it will gell in the fuel line, it's happened on my Western Star more than once and the addition of PS cures that problem and...

2. The has to be more fittings with the addition of a fuel heater, that is, unless it's an immaculate installation /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Fuel filter/heater #10  
cp1969, What did you mean when you said the fuel couldn't gel in the line leading to the filter? Where you more referring to the fact that the heater would work ? I know nothing about diesel fuel or the engines for the most part, but isn't it possible that the fuel could gel before it gets to the filter? Is it just a case of the fuel still flows but is too thick for the injectors? Thanks in advance for the info. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif
Is there anywhere that I can look to learn more about diesel fuel and the benefits of using additives? It gets really cold in the winter around here and I want to do my tractor justice as well as anything that will make it last longer. Daryle.