Securing your tractor

/ Securing your tractor #11  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I keep mine in the 2 car attached garage. I'd hate to get ripped off for a tractor. Seems thieves are getting more cavalier in their exploits. Takes a lot of nerve to do something like that and risk getting shot over it. I hate a thief.

John )</font>

In this area right now they are big on stealing skid steers and small tractors. They steal them quick and usually already have a key anywyas. THey target construction sites, etc... basically anyone with lots of equipment and insurance.

/ Securing your tractor #12  
I keep mine in a shed (unlocked--stupid, I know). I keep the keys separated from it, and any attachment lowered. I also do things that, if you don't know that particular model, will keep it from starting, like leaving the high-low selector in gear and the pto lever slightly engaged.

This will only discourage someone who isn't familiar with the tractor. If someone knows the quirks, you can't stop them, they're going to get it. I suppose that's what insurance is for.

/ Securing your tractor #13  
You are right on the money /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

I wanted a spare key for my Kubota B8200. I went to tractor shop down the road from me. He services all brands of tractors. He dumped a small jar of keys on the table, and randomly picked a key. He started naming off the models of Kubota, John Deere, New Holland, Ford, ect that "my" key would start/forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

If you want a starting point, put in a key/switch other than stock. Kragens/Checker, Pep Boys, Auto Zone, Napa ect carry ignition sets that are not identicle keyed.

/ Securing your tractor #14  
As slow as my tractor is the are not going to get far. So They will have to flat bed it out and then it really doesnt matter what you do they will just winch it on.

/ Securing your tractor #15  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( if you don't know that particular model, will keep it from starting, like leaving the high-low selector in gear and the pto lever slightly engaged )</font>

I hope you know that those 'tricks' only act as starter circuit interlocks.. that is.. if they try to use a key to start it it. won't.. but if you manually jump the start solenoid.. those interlocks won't do much for you... It's that old.. 2 pieces of wire and a screwdriver problem.. or as someone else pointed out.. a good winch and a rollback truck.. /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Soundguy

/ Securing your tractor #16  
Yeah, I realize if someone wants it bad enough, they're going to get it. The only thing I'm protecting myself against would be kids, or someone like that who might sense an opportunity once they were there, not someone who pre-planned a theft. There is NOTHING you can do to be 100% safe against that.

/ Securing your tractor #17  
I have a small Yanmar tractor. I do not stay where tractor is. I have good friends who live nearby (best security device yet). My tractor is parked in a barn with out door. I made a bar that goes through the rear wheels and has an american 2000 series lock on one side. You would have to cut the bar or drag the tractor onto a trailer to steal. But someone watching is the best thing. I will take a picture when I get a chance and post it on this sire. Thanks big dan

/ Securing your tractor #18  
Where I live with a good dog and firearms I'm not to concerned about it, but if I lived in an area where I was really worried about someone stealing my valued things. I would invest in a trail camera designed for hunting that as soon as it takes a picture it is emailed to you so at least you have a pic of who it is. They are a little pricey but good insurance.
They also need a cell provider.
Just a thought.

/ Securing your tractor #19  
Do like me and have an ugly tractor that no one would want to steal ?
Someday I will get it painted /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif
Ben

/ Securing your tractor #20  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Do like me and have an ugly tractor that no one would want to steal ?
Someday I will get it painted /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif
Ben
)</font>

Your plan should work. Not sure I'd go that way myself, with tractor or wife. . . . Gotta spend too much time with BOTH to "go ugly".