Securing your tractor

/ Securing your tractor #1  

SnoFalls

Silver Member
Just curious on what people have done as far as "customizations" to prevent theft of their tractor(s) ...

I'm thinkin I'll probably want to add a key'd kill switch (hopefully hidden well enough to defeat bypassing) ...

Lo-jack would be awesome, but don't see the need for me ...

locked inside a building would be best, but again overkill (and my building is full of other stuff /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

So, what do you do ???

/ Securing your tractor #2  
move to the country and not worry about it. lifes to short.

/ Securing your tractor #3  
Hiding a kill switch to prevent bypass just makes the crook get clever.

All it takes is a pack of aligator clip/jumper wires and a pair of dikes to snip all connections that might prevent starting, and to make all connections which need to be present for starting.

It's a well gone over subject here. If someone wants your stuff and you aren't setting on it 100% of the time with a shotgun in hand then they will get it.. ( sometimes even when you ARE setting on it with a shotgun ).

Out of site out of mind is a good trick. Secure building / container is ok.. but as at least one user here posted about.. he had a roll off trailer broken into.. thieves cut the entire lock mechanism out with a smoke wrench... probably took them less than 5 minutes too..

Soundguy

/ Securing your tractor
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( move to the country and not worry about it. lifes to short. )</font>
I sorta do ... (but this area is being invaded by suburbanites) ...

I moved outta "true" country small town cause the primary employment for many became working at meth labs ... (after 3 mills w/3shifts went to 1 mill w/ 1 shift)

/ Securing your tractor
</font><font color="blue" class="small">(
All it takes is a pack of aligator clip/jumper wires and a pair of dikes to snip all connections that might prevent starting, and to make all connections which need to be present for starting.
)</font>
Is this true on the "newer" stuff?

I know ya can't stop a "determined" thief, and so some don't bother ...

Was just curious if people had simple mods that make a thief just keep going (perhaps "the club" ???)

/ Securing your tractor #6  
Big cable lock around ROPS and one of the piers of my barn--tractor is parked in "basement" area that is open to the outside. Also make sure that any attachments are lowered completely so that it can't just get dragged/towed away easily.

/ Securing your tractor #7  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( All it takes is a pack of aligator clip/jumper wires and a pair of dikes to snip all connections that might prevent starting, and to make all connections which need to be present for starting )</font>

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Is this true on the "newer" stuff?
)</font>

I hope you are kidding. Tractors simple don't have many of the security features like auto's do.. like locing steering wheels.. etc.

Not to mention that most brands are keyed alike with a model type. For instance.. my 2002 Nh 7610s key will start anybodies 7610.. for that matter.. the key to my 1975 Ford 5000 is the very same key use don my 2002 Nh 7610s.

On my 5000, with a manual-kill injector pump, to steal it.. you woul have to take a screwdriver and jump the starter solenoid. On my 7610s with a fuel solenoid on the injector pump, all you need is a jumper wire from the battery to the fuel pump, and a nother jumper to release the fuel solenoid cutout.. and then the screwdriver to jump the starter solenoid.

Incedentally. Those two techniques will probably start every piece of heavy equipment built from 1930 to 2000. You may find an exception for something that does use an engine computer.. etc.... or Possibly a new style hydro trans.

I leave a aligator wire in my tool box on each tractor. 2 reasons. If I'm out inthe field and loose my keays.. say after a pit stop.. or something.. I can get home. or if I need to move the tractor and don't feel like walking to the house to get my keys... just jumper and go... That's how easy it is for a theif with tractor/ engine experience...

Soundguy

/ Securing your tractor #8  
I hope this post isn't just bait from some lawyer trying to argue that a dealer who had a customer tractor stolen from his lot had it secured as good or as better than the average tractor owner... :)

- Rick

/ Securing your tractor #9  
Every old tractor we had growing up required one shot ether and a screw driver in order to start it up.

The new ones we wern't allowed to drive, the old ones we could drive if we figured out how to start them.

/ Securing your tractor #10  
I keep mine in the 2 car attached garage. I'd hate to get ripped off for a tractor. Seems thieves are getting more cavalier in their exploits. Takes a lot of nerve to do something like that and risk getting shot over it. I hate a thief.

John