LED lights & replacement bulbs, anyone use them?

/ LED lights & replacement bulbs, anyone use them? #1  

JSUnlimited

Platinum Member
Tractor
New Holland
It seems that you are seeing more and more LED's being used in many applications. I just bought some new LED brake/turn and markers for my trailer, can't wait to see them in use.

I was wondering about these replacement LED bulbs you can get for use in place of the traditional incandescent bulbs. For example, I was thinking of replacing the 1156 and 1157's in my tail and warning lights on my tractor. Somewhere I read that when using LED bulbs, you should get the color that matches the color of the lense (red/red, amber/amber, etc.)

Just wondering.......

Attachments

• 829265-1156-18w.jpg
    829265-1156-18w.jpg
    18.6 KB · Views: 555
   / LED lights & replacement bulbs, anyone use them? #2  
Never used one for a tractor application but I could see where they might be a real advantage when it comes to tractor vibration issues. Also a hot filament bulb is likely to be damaged if hit with a spray of water where that might not be an issue with a LED (no heat).

How much are the LED replacements like the 1157?

/ LED lights & replacement bulbs, anyone use them?
I have seen them anywhere from $6.99 up to $19.99 ea.

/ LED lights & replacement bulbs, anyone use them?
Thanks for the link. The ones I've been looking at are here. It seems that these would work better in the double faced hazard lights.

AutoLumination

What do you think?

/ LED lights & replacement bulbs, anyone use them? #6  
MM; Yeah, those should work pretty well. Like yourself, I replaced the tail lights on my flatbed with 63 LED lights. I picked them up at a T/A truck stop. Next thing is to replace all the running lights on the trailer too. I'm also interested in replacing the tail lights on my on my F-250.

Attachments

• 829938-Pic377 (Small).JPG
    829938-Pic377 (Small).JPG
    53.9 KB · Views: 444
   / LED lights & replacement bulbs, anyone use them? #7  
On my saltwater boat tailier It seemed I was replacing lights more than I changed socks...But a few years back i added LEDs and have yet to have a problem even with saltwater on them

/ LED lights & replacement bulbs, anyone use them? #8  
well i have been changing over most everything i own to leds, my truck, tractors, flatbed trailer, and at work we have been gradualy changing over our trucks to leds also. the big advantage to leds in my opionion is not so much the bulb life, but the fact they are 100% sealed, all there is to corrode is the plug, and some dont even use a plug, so as long as your connections are heat shrunk theres little trouble, no sockets to corrode, loosen up etc. i personaly dont think that led bulbs would be worth the money. i know at work when a regular light is out on a truck, half the time its the bulb half the time its the socket or ground, whenever we wire up led lights they get a ground wire run back to the junction box rather than just a screw to the frame next to the light alot less problems that way

/ LED lights & replacement bulbs, anyone use them? #9  
MM; Forgot about my boat trailer. As was pointed out, they are very well sealed, and work all the time. The comment about just the bulb replacement was a good heads up. What you could do to protect the socket from corrosion, is to use some dielectric grease on them, it works well to prevent corrosion. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ LED lights & replacement bulbs, anyone use them? #10  
I brushed never seize on ours and it seems to work great to prevent corrosion and make bulb replacement much more easier when the time comes around.