My First Grapple - Hydraulics

/ My First Grapple - Hydraulics #1  

MarcusCarr

Silver Member
Tractor
Kioti DK35
This is the scariest part of this project because I don't know anything about hydraulics.

I had a situation where a quick connect came apart at the back of the tractor...where my backhoe connects. When this happened it deadheaded the fluid and I almost burned up my pump. I vaguely remember the person that helped me with the situation say something about closed systems will do that. You have to have a return for the fluid. Still...no idea what this system is.

I will attach some pictures to this thread that might help with my questions.

Questions...

Do I have an open or closed system?

Can I connect lines and a lever to my existing system?

What lever do I need? It doesn't have to be on the stick, I will just bolt it on somewhere.

Am I missing anything?

/ My First Grapple - Hydraulics

Attachments

• 840573-from the back.jpg
    840573-from the back.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 581

Attachments

• 840575-From the front left side is down.jpg
    840575-From the front left side is down.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 402

Attachments

• 840576-From the right side.jpg
    840576-From the right side.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 297

Attachments

• 840578-from the top rear leftish.jpg
    840578-from the top rear leftish.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 288

Attachments

• 840580-future home of grapple.jpg
    840580-future home of grapple.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 281

Attachments

• 840582-Rear lines with backhoe not attached.jpg
    840582-Rear lines with backhoe not attached.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 320
   / My First Grapple - Hydraulics #8  
Please fill in your profile so we can see where you are located and what kind of equipment you have. It will be alot easier to get answers that way.

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Do I have an open or closed system?)</font>

Just about every tractor under 100 hp is an open center system whereby the pump is continously pumping. Yours is no different.

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Can I connect lines and a lever to my existing system?)</font>

If you mean can you add an aux control valve, or a diverter, the answer is yes.

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( What lever do I need? It doesn't have to be on the stick, I will just bolt it on somewhere. )</font>

You need to purchase a stand alone open center directional control valve with at least one spool. The spool characteristics will depend on what you are going to use the valve for. You can mount it anywhere you want.

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Am I missing anything?)</font>

Yes. If this is for a grapple then you can make things much easier by using a diverter with a button on the joystick to switch one of the loader functions to the grapple. Do a search here on TBN for Grapple and you will find several recent discussions on how to do this.

You still have plenty of homework to do. Everything you need to know has been answered here in the past, some of it within the last few weeks. Start searching, and fill in your profile.

I did some research and I believe I have figured out how to do the hydraulic part of this task.

I am going to add a bracket to the back of the tractor, above the bracket in picture 6 (post 7 of this thread) This will have two quick connects that can be attached to the quick connects in the picture that are usually either attached to the backhoe or looped back on eachother (as they currently are in the picture.

From those quick connects, I will have oil delivery and oil return which will be connected to a single spool, 4-way, 3 position, spring center, open center valve. After I plug my oil delivery and return lines into this spool, I will be left with two ports on the spool. One to deliver oil to the cylinder and another to return oil from the cylinder.

Another question that come to mind...

When I connect these lines, they will have air in them. Do I have to bleed the lines or will the air be pushed out by using the system?

Thank you for your help.
Marcus

/ My First Grapple - Hydraulics #10  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( When I connect these lines, they will have air in them. Do I have to bleed the lines or will the air be pushed out by using the system? )</font>

They will be self bleeding. All you have to do is cycle the cylinder a few times.

One concern is with your hydraulic connection scheme on that Mitsubishi. Normally, on most tractors, when the backhoe is connected the 3pt is disabled. Not knowing how your hydraulic circuit is, you may have problems. You might want to post in the Mistubishi forum and ask about the hydraulic circuit on your model.