Telescopic Sway Links

/ Telescopic Sway Links #1  

kljunior

Silver Member
Tractor
2006 JD 2305
I made these for my JD 2305. I didn't like the amount of adjustment in the oem sway chains and they are a pain to adjust all the time.

Link to large inline image

/ Telescopic Sway Links
I wanted to keep the oem sway chain in tact in case I want them at another time. To do this, I needed to make new sleeves for the forward mounting point where the lower lift arms also attach. Once made, the U-brackets (made from scrap heavy wall rectangular tubing) were welded to the sleeves.

Link to large inline image.

/ Telescopic Sway Links
The end that attaches to the lower lift arm uses a 5/8" bolt welded to another U-bracket. Hinges at both ends are just a 5/16" bolt going through the U-bracket and the tubing.

The tubing is a loose fit with holes drilled at 3/4 OC in the larger tube and 5/8 OC in the smaller tube. This gives nice adjustment of 1/8" increments at full range of motion. The tubes are pinned with 5/16" pins and secured with a hairpin. I will look for a nicer pin, maybe with a ball detent and use lanyards so I won't drop 'em. The three point arms have very little movement when the links are adjusted properly, the real test now will be back blading.

Total project including design and paint was less than 8 hrs. I know....... I should have spent another 5 minutes on the paint.. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Telescopic Sway Links #5  
Very nice looking job. Real similiar to how they are on my Kubota B3030. The only real difference is that on the Kubota links there is a slot in the outer tube that allows a couple of inches of sway. That is handy sometimes when you don't want the 3PT implement to be totally rigid. As far as the pins that go in the holes to regulate the width, I don't use the hairpins to hold them in anymore. It gets to be a pain to mess with them everytime you need to hook up to an implement. I havn't lost a pin yet, either. I think it would take a huge bump to make them pop out of the holes, especially if they are an inch or so longer than necessary. Good luck.

/ Telescopic Sway Links
Thank you. I did think of adding a slot to allow slop in some instances, but couldn't really remember ever setting the sway up loose on purpose and decided to simplify it a bit. I agree on the pins, I don't think they would fall out either, but a lanyard would be handy.

/ Telescopic Sway Links #7  
Looks good, just don't patent them till I make some myself. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif Now show us how to make some telescoping draft links, too. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ Telescopic Sway Links #8  
McMaster-carr has ball detent pins and lanyards.

/ Telescopic Sway Links #9  
That looks like an excellent job, and that mod is rated right up there at the top with the Pats Easy Change when it comes to the most useful things that you can do to lessen the trips to the confessional. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif I can't ever remember using the slots on my sway bars either, but I'm sure they have a purpose, and I found the ball detent pins at the local Ace Hardware in slide out bins in the little specialty fastener section.

/ Telescopic Sway Links #10  
I forgot to add Very fine job!! Wife was complaing about my TBN time so I was distracted.Looks factory. They all should come out that way.