Rifle rack for tractor

/ Rifle rack for tractor #1  

Slacker

Gold Member
Tractor
Farmtrac 360 TLB
Looking for idea's on a way to mount a scoped rifle (.22 WMR, 30-30, .223 etc) to my tractor. Needs to be in a location I can get to it fast, but still out of the way. I've got a nasty pack of wild dogs running around that really need to be put down. They are alot like yotes, in that they are sneaky as ****. I see them when I'm in the seat, but soon as I step down they are gone. Additionally, the local whitetail population seems to be unconcerned with the green tractor. As such, they provide me a great chance at filling the freezer. I'm thinking somthing along the lines of clamps on the ROPS, vertical mount, muzzle down.

/ Rifle rack for tractor #2  
I suppose there are several places to mount a rack, depending on the layout of your cab area. I use a scabbard tied to the staionary FEL arm. Here's a picture. Look inside the tractor's left loader arm.

Although I frequently see coyotes and bobcats and the occaisonal bear and lion tracks, there is no emminant "danger" on my property from these critters. I just like like the security of having a rifle or pistol with me in case of an emergency. Being rural property, you never know? I do pop the rattlers on the property.

Attachments

• 850964-RIFLE SCABBARD.JPG
    850964-RIFLE SCABBARD.JPG
    74 KB · Views: 2,619
   / Rifle rack for tractor #3  
I don't have a mount on my tractor yet (carry a revolver in my pocket mostly) but i'd suggest mounting a scabbard on the ROPS for the most secure location and it stays with the tractor if you remove the loader. Rigging the scabbard so it's on an angle aft should allow ready access.

I'd also consider one of the lever action rifles (Marlin 1894 or 1895 for example) as a good choice.

You could also consider a scoped revolver. A .44 Magnum with a 6"-8" barrel in a chest holster might accomplish what you want.

/ Rifle rack for tractor #4  
I am thinking about putting one of those gun racks that are designed to be fastened to the overhead in your pickup. I believe that it would fit under my canopy just fine and be more out of the weather.

Vernon

/ Rifle rack for tractor #5  
Alot of the guys here use the black cases meant for mounting on an ATV, good and solid and well padded, with secure holes for mounting.

/ Rifle rack for tractor #7  
I've seen people take pickup -rear-window- racks, and attach them to rops uprights using big hose clamps.. 2 hose clamps top/bottom, per holder.. thus 4 clamps will hold onthe racks to your rops. Then use a bunji as a 'bounce' arrestor to keep the rifle from flying outta the rack in bumpy conditions.

Soundguy

/ Rifle rack for tractor #8  
This may not make any difference to you but there was a thread here not long ago where someone was ticketed by the game warden for having a loaded gun on their tractor. They were on their own land and the ticket was for having a loaded gun on a motorized vehicle. Ya, I know, I thought that was a little ridiculous also. I don’t hunt but hear stories of people getting their truck confiscated for the same type of infraction. Makes you wonder what a warden in a bad mood could do if they wanted. /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif

MarkV

/ Rifle rack for tractor #10  
I used an ATV gun case bolted to the right fender at first. I had a 30-30 with scope inside with no problem. I took it off when I made a cab for the tractor. I find it easier just to carry my .45 now.

Attachments

• 851819-ATV Gun Rack.JPG
    851819-ATV Gun Rack.JPG
    66.8 KB · Views: 2,933