Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast
    Tractor
    Farmtrac 360 TLB

Default Rifle rack for tractor

Looking for idea's on a way to mount a scoped rifle (.22 WMR, 30-30, .223 etc) to my tractor. Needs to be in a location I can get to it fast, but still out of the way. I've got a nasty pack of wild dogs running around that really need to be put down. They are alot like yotes, in that they are sneaky as ****. I see them when I'm in the seat, but soon as I step down they are gone. Additionally, the local whitetail population seems to be unconcerned with the green tractor. As such, they provide me a great chance at filling the freezer. I'm thinking somthing along the lines of clamps on the ROPS, vertical mount, muzzle down.

Foothills of the Giant Sequoia's, California
    Tractor
    55HP 4WD KAMA 554 and 4 x 4 Jinma 284

Default Re: Rifle rack for tractor

I suppose there are several places to mount a rack, depending on the layout of your cab area. I use a scabbard tied to the staionary FEL arm. Here's a picture. Look inside the tractor's left loader arm.

Although I frequently see coyotes and bobcats and the occaisonal bear and lion tracks, there is no emminant "danger" on my property from these critters. I just like like the security of having a rifle or pistol with me in case of an emergency. Being rural property, you never know? I do pop the rattlers on the property.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Tractor
    John Deere 4520 MFWD, Deere 855D UTV, Z920A Zero Turn Mower and assorted implements

I don't have a mount on my tractor yet (carry a revolver in my pocket mostly) but i'd suggest mounting a scabbard on the ROPS for the most secure location and it stays with the tractor if you remove the loader. Rigging the scabbard so it's on an angle aft should allow ready access.

I'd also consider one of the lever action rifles (Marlin 1894 or 1895 for example) as a good choice.

You could also consider a scoped revolver. A .44 Magnum with a 6"-8" barrel in a chest holster might accomplish what you want.

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    Kubota L3130HST w/LA723 loader

I am thinking about putting one of those gun racks that are designed to be fastened to the overhead in your pickup. I believe that it would fit under my canopy just fine and be more out of the weather.

Vernon

Gold Member
    Tractor
    B2150DT / Oliver OC-3

Alot of the guys here use the black cases meant for mounting on an ATV, good and solid and well padded, with secure holes for mounting.

Silver Member
    Tractor
    JD 2520

Beyond what has already been mentioned since you listed .223 I'm guessing you might mean an AR.

http://www.chiefsupply.com/gunlocks.phtml

Tractor
    ym1700, NH7610S, Ford 8N, 2N, NAA, 660, 850 x2, 541, 950, 941D, 951, 2000, 3000, 4000, 4600, 5000, 740, IH 'C' 'H', CUB, John Deere 'B', allis 'G', case VAC

I've seen people take pickup -rear-window- racks, and attach them to rops uprights using big hose clamps.. 2 hose clamps top/bottom, per holder.. thus 4 clamps will hold onthe racks to your rops. Then use a bunji as a 'bounce' arrestor to keep the rifle from flying outta the rack in bumpy conditions.

Soundguy

Tractor
    1998 Kubota B21, 2005 Kubota L39

This may not make any difference to you but there was a thread here not long ago where someone was ticketed by the game warden for having a loaded gun on their tractor. They were on their own land and the ticket was for having a loaded gun on a motorized vehicle. Ya, I know, I thought that was a little ridiculous also. I donít hunt but hear stories of people getting their truck confiscated for the same type of infraction. Makes you wonder what a warden in a bad mood could do if they wanted. [img]/forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]

MarkV

Foothills of the Giant Sequoia's, California
    Tractor
    55HP 4WD KAMA 554 and 4 x 4 Jinma 284

Also makes you wonder what the game warden was doing on that guy's private property? What prompted that?

Tractor
    LS XR3037HC

I used an ATV gun case bolted to the right fender at first. I had a 30-30 with scope inside with no problem. I took it off when I made a cab for the tractor. I find it easier just to carry my .45 now.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast