Are "duo-grips" really the better chains for R4s?

/ Are "duo-grips" really the better chains for R4s? #1  

winchman

Bronze Member
Tractor
kubota 2410 with loaded R4s
Are \"duo-grips\" really the better chains for R4s?

I will be purchasing a set of chains for my 2410 in the near future. I just want to make sure that I make a wise decision. From my past chain experience and the pictures of the duo-grips that have been posted I would have to say they would'nt be for me. I do not like what appears to be large gaps between the cross-chains that would cause a terribly rough ride, not that any chain provides a smooth ride, and that would also mean less constant ground contact. I understand the logic of the duo-grips not falling between the lugs, but I do not think I would have that problem with "2-link spaced" ladder style chains. I think they would be better as far as ground contact and better ride. Better for snowplowing overall. Our local township runs this style on their grader that has the same tire design that is on my 2410. I would like all opinions and personal experiences. Anyone with 2-link spaced ladder style on R4s?

/ Are "duo-grips" really the better chains for R4s? #2  
Re: Are \"duo-grips\" really the better chains for R4s?

Winchman -- A couple of neighbors run Duo-grips here, and though they complain of a bumpy ride on frozen ground they have never been stuck. Ladder chains offer a better ride. I used them on my B1750 (roughly the same weight and size as your 2410) with two-space linking over turf tires and found that, while they got me around, there were a few times where creative use of the bucket was needed to get me unstuck. Lot of steep slopes and heavy snow where I live. Now, on my L3010, I use Norse ice chains. They have a very smooth ride because the diamond cross pattern maintains constant ground contact, but with those spikes sticking out an inch I can't take it on asphalt. Not a problem for me, since the nearest pavement is a mile away, but you didn't mention what your surface was like. Besides, the ice chains are overkill for all but those of us who long for Zamboni machines! /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif

To sum it up, two-link spaced ladders worked for me in all but the worst of conditions. YMMV.

Pete

www.GatewayToVermont.com

/ Are "duo-grips" really the better chains for R4s?

Boondox,
Thanks for the reply. My surface is 200' of gravel. I feel the 2-link ladders on my size R4s would out perform the duo-grips on a hard surface (gravel, pavement) and give a better ride. The duo-grips may have a slight advantage in deep mud. Maybe! My opinion only. I would like to hear more replies.

/ Are "duo-grips" really the better chains for R4s? #4  

I use the duo grips because I have R1 tires and the ladder would fall between the lugs too much. I don't think that would be as much of a problem with the R4's. I agree with your concern over the large gaps between the chains on the duo grip. I fixed that by using some quick links and adding a vertical chain strip between the duo grip sections. Makes for a little bumpy ride on dry pavement but once the snow comes it shouldn't be much of a problem. If I had R4's I might go with the ladder type. Of course the diamond pattern would be a lot better but then the cost is also substantially more.........

/ Are "duo-grips" really the better chains for R4s? #5  

Winchman -- I should add that the only place I got into trouble with the ladder type was on my 22% slope. On level ground and gentler slopes the ladders worked just fine.

Pete

www.GatewayToVermont.com

/ Are "duo-grips" really the better chains for R4s? #6  

I discussed this issue with the guys at tirechain.com and they recommended the duo-grips over the dual ladder chains for my R4's. Additionally, they recommended the every two link crossover for the front tires (4wd).

No experience as yet, so I guess I'll find out when we get some snow.

Terry

/ Are "duo-grips" really the better chains for R4s? #7  

Boondox,

Where did you buy your Norse chains?

Driver

/ Are "duo-grips" really the better chains for R4s? #8  

I bought mine in Berlin from Walt's Equipment. Another source is McLeod's in Barre. They're expensive (~$500) but considering how much ice we get in late winter they've been worth every cent!

Pete

www.GatewayToVermont.com

/ Are "duo-grips" really the better chains for R4s? #9  

Boondox,

Check out tirechains.com

I got a set of duo-grips for the rear and every two-link chains for the front from them for ~$300 with shipping. Check them out. Nice people. Nice chains.

Terry

/ Are "duo-grips" really the better chains for R4s? #10  

I checked them out before buying locally. Duo-Grips, once the ground is frozen, give a much rougher ride than the Norse chains I got. Besides, in March and April when my entire hill is a sea of ice, those huge spikes sure come in handy! /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif

Pete

www.GatewayToVermont.com