TATRO GRAPPLES WITH WR LONG VALVES

/ TATRO GRAPPLES WITH WR LONG VALVES #1  

3RRL

Foothills of the Giant Sequoia's, California
Tractor
55HP 4WD KAMA 554 and 4 x 4 Jinma 284
I wanted to start a new thread about installing the Andy Tatro Bucket Grapple Attachment as a follow up on this thread: JOYSTICK & HYDRAULIC QUESTIONS
I received a lot of help from members but especially from MadReferee who gave me excellent advice and instructions leading to the purchase of a WR Long true third function electric solenoid valve and also an Andy Tatro Grapple. Andy was very good to work with and gave me instructions how to mount the grapples.
I'll start off by showing a few pictures of how it turned out and also a video of it working.
After much thought, and considering the size of my bucket and FEL lifting capacity, I decided to go with 2 grapples. This picture is late at night after assembling everything and still some tools left in the bucket.

This one shows the jaws opened up wide.

This one shows how the 2 grapples can work together and separately by hooking the hydraulic cylinders in parallel. Therefore, as the jaws go down together to close on an oddball shaped object, the jaw that finds resistance stops and the jaw that has not hit anything yet will keep closing until it does.

/ TATRO GRAPPLES WITH WR LONG VALVES #2  
Rob nice looking installation. I think you're going to really like your grapples. We're always finding new uses for ours. Sure beats jumping off the tractor with a chain to pick up a downed tree.

I also thought Andy was a pleasure to work with and have recommended his grapple many times.

/ TATRO GRAPPLES WITH WR LONG VALVES
There was a lot of preparation for this project and I found myself stretched to the limit of my limited learning curve...hydraulic valves and electronics are not my strong suit. I made a lot of brackets to hold the valves, quick disconnects and hose so they could rotate during movement.

This one shows how the bucket QD's are attached to the FEL brace. That way I can take the entire system off leaving only the QD's behind that spacer bar on top of the bucket.

This one shows a view of the new valve (from driver's seat) located on the left side FEL frame. Also the Loader mounted QD's. there was more room to work with on this side.

Thanks Mike,
You were one of the people who helped me make my mind up to do this. I am only going to show a couple more pictures and the video. Then refer you to a thread where I started this from the very beginning...all the prep work involved with a project like this.

This is the WR LONG joystick handle with the electric switch in it and the wiring (covered in corregated plastic protection).

This is another close-up of the solenoid diverter valve. I was happy with how neat and clean all the hydraulics and electical wiring came out.

This is the video of the contraption working. It is a true third function that allows ALL the movements by bucket, loader arms and grapples to work at the same time. You guys can't believe how happy I am to finish this project and that it WORKS.
GRAPPLE IN ACTION

After getting all that good information in the first thread, I got up the guts to try doing it. I then started another thread that details all the machining, welding, hose fitting, measuring and pre-fitting these things to make it all work...prior to these photos. I'd like very much if you check out that thread. It is a long thread, but then again, it has all the details for anybody interested in adding a grapple...or a couple of them.
DETAILED GRAPPLE THREAD

Thanks for your interest....

Thought to update the thread on the use of the grapples.
Among other things this weekend, I got to use my new dual grapples at the rural property. I had mostly brush and logs to get cleaned up so I could rotary cut the meadow and adjacent areas near the campsite. First I had to clear an area next to the tractor tent that had a buch of buckbrush growing on it. I was able to do it in one pass and haul the brush away to the burn pile.

Then it was out to the meadow to get rid of some logs and tree cuttings. Again I pushed into the pile, closed the grapple jaws and grabbed a mouthfull of logs and branches. Notice how the logs are sticking straght out of the bucket. Without the grapple, they would just fall on the ground and I'd have to manuever the bucket to get them up...if I could at all. As it turned out, one scoop was good enough to clear it all.

Man, I gotta tell ya how much easier it is to grab stuff that ordinarily does not fit into the bucket. If you've ever had to struggle trying to pick up a big boulder or stump like this, you know how many tries it takes sometimes....and sometimes you never get it in.

/ TATRO GRAPPLES WITH WR LONG VALVES #6  
Rob,
Again i'll have to say....... you are a mad man !!! I checked out your thread on the prep work for your grapples. You are way overboard !! If only you lived here in New Hampshire.... i'd be hanging around your house conning you into helping me modify my tractor. Once again your brain has been working overtime...... and again your workmanship is second to none !!! Nice, nice, nice job !! I'm jealous of guys with your talent (and matching equipment)... everything you do looks completely professional, as compared to my work, which looks crude.... with bird poo for welds !

AAA+++ JOB ! You must feel a great sense of accomplishment !

Last edited:
   / TATRO GRAPPLES WITH WR LONG VALVES #7  
Dcctape, you need help? I helped 3RRL and maybe I can help you too, and I am local.

/ TATRO GRAPPLES WITH WR LONG VALVES #8  
Mad,
I know your local...... cuz i was at your house when i picked up the welder ! I'm definitely looking for hydraulics help. I'll PM you with a few questions !

Thanks !!

Ductape,
Thanks for great compliment but Mad is right...he helped me a lot intsructing me about the electric/hydraulic valve questions and how it all worked. I might be able to build just about anything, but I would not have attemped it without Mad's critical input for the project.
I think we should start calling him "Dr. Mad" LOL

/ TATRO GRAPPLES WITH WR LONG VALVES #10  
I was able to do it in one pass and haul the brush away to the burn pile.

Rob, I don't know how I missed your thread before, but I did...

Your grapple(s) turned out great. It's amazing how productive the grapple can be for working with brush. I used to have to push brush along the ground and then go back and clean up what I'd lost in transit. With the grapple, I just get a bucketfull, lift, drive, and dump. Productivity goes through the roof.

Nice job! I know you will love it. Just be careful when the grapple is all the way open. If you hit something with a Tatro grapple when it's open all the way, it can make the hydraulic cylinder go over-center. I just open mine all the way and then run it back so the cylinder ram is out 1". That way it can't go over-center. I guess you could also weld a stop in the grapple hinge, but it's not a big deal really. It's only happened to me one time.