Toolbox and Lights for my JD4100

/ Toolbox and Lights for my JD4100 #1  

TerryinMD

Veteran Member
Tractor
John Deere 4100 HST
Been working on this project for a few weeks - fits and starts.

My neighbor is helping with the welding, fabrication, and hashing out of ideas.

The toolbox is mounted to 1 1/2 in aluminum angle. This was a bit of pain to mount. The 4100 does not have much room to mount a toolbox. I was going to use a 50 cal ammo box hanging off the side, but saw this husky box and couldn't resist. I want to carry chains, pins, some wrenches to make field adjustments, gloves, etc, etc, so it should suit my needs. I bought the JD brushguard kit and lights. They are 50 watt trapozoidal so I should have plenty of light. Next is to fabricate a bracket for the implement light and then finish off the switches and wiring.

Terry

Has anyone with a 4100 attached any extra lights? Where's a good place to tap into? There are two plastic connectors and they are tied into the headlights. Sounds like a dumb question, but is that the best place??

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by TerryinMD on 12/16/01 08:08 PM (server time).</FONT></P>

Attachments

• 37-91158-LightsandToolbox.jpg
    37-91158-LightsandToolbox.jpg
    183 KB · Views: 497
   / Toolbox and Lights for my JD4100 #2  
With that box on the back, how do you see what you are doing when using the rear blade? Hopefully it is no problem, but the box looks like it is in the direct line of sight for the operator in the tractor seat. The box looks great.

/ Toolbox and Lights for my JD4100 #3  
Very nice, Terry! /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

Love the looks of that deck plate toolbox. /w3tcompact/icons/cool.gif Can't quite see how the whole thing is attached to the tractor/ROPS. Howdja do it? Nice professional job on the lights, too.

Pardon my welding ignorance, but I know you can weld aluminum with a TIG unit -- can you do the same with MIG? Never thought to ask before. /w3tcompact/icons/crazy.gif

HarvSig.gif

/ Toolbox and Lights for my JD4100 #4  
I too once had a tool box mounted in a similar position. The tool box was smaller in size and mounted lower, but the box was still partly blocking my view of any 3pt mounted equipment. Ended up removing it from that position. By the way, that does look like a professional job.

/ Toolbox and Lights for my JD4100
All,

Thank you for the compliments. But I have to thank my neighbor, he did most of the real work. I just did the running and measuring.

Radman and beenthere,

Yes, I'm a little concerned about losing sight of the rear implement. I've been thinking and rethinking and kicking ideas around for several months before deciding on this solution.

Harv and radman,

I believe my neighbor used a TIG welder. Uses separate welding aluminum rods with a tip that uses a gas - can't remember what kind exactly. John, my neighbor, works for an aircraft company and they design, fabricate, and repair aircraft systems. So, he is used to working with all of these different materials. He has five garage bays and has tons of machine tools.

As far as the lights, the JD brush guards fit any JD compact model, I believe. JD was kind enough to drill holes on the top side of the brush guard for the extra lights.

What John and I did, was to design the toolbox mounting bracket so that it would take advantage of the two bolts that hold on the warning lights. The bolts are long enough to hold the bracket, the brush guards, and of couse the lights.

Terry

/ Toolbox and Lights for my JD4100 #6  
Very, very nice design and implementation!

Will there be a problem with hiding the SMV sign?

animation1.gif

/ Toolbox and Lights for my JD4100 #7  
Super job Terry./w3tcompact/icons/cool.gif
Heck..you got a better setup than our highway department.
Looks like your ready just about ready for the first big snow storm...just got to remove the sticker on your blade.

Thomas..NH /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif

Mike,

Thank you for the compliment.

I'm mulling over how to display the SMV. Sounds like a job for some strong magnets.

If there was one complaint that I have about the 4100, it's the lack of space to put a decent toolbox. Make's me crazy to have to run to the house or shed to get tools, chains, clevis', or whatever.

Terry

/ Toolbox and Lights for my JD4100 #9  
Now that's a great way to get extra ballast... /w3tcompact/icons/cool.gif

Very nice job Terry... the only issue I would have is rear visibility... but it looks like you can "pop" the box out of it's holder if it becomes a major issue...

18-35196-JDMFWDSigJFM.JPG

John,

Yep - my exact thoughts.

In fact, I was going to screw or rivet it in to the bracket, but now I think I'll use pins. Voila!! /w3tcompact/icons/cool.gif

Terry