Addint coulters to Harrow?

/ Addint coulters to Harrow? #1  

andrewj

Platinum Member
Tractor
JD 5105
I have a section of property that was bush hogged and still has rough trash. So rough the harrow runs across sometimes without cutting. I have the notched discs. I was thinking about adding coulters to the front of the harrows, and also adding weight to the harrow so all the disks would be forced into the ground.

does anyone know where one can buy coulters, like the type that mount on a tool bar? thanks.

/ Addint coulters to Harrow? #2  
andrewj said:
I have a section of property that was bush hogged and still has rough trash. So rough the harrow runs across sometimes without cutting. I have the notched discs. I was thinking about adding coulters to the front of the harrows, and also adding weight to the harrow so all the disks would be forced into the ground.

does anyone know where one can buy coulters, like the type that mount on a tool bar? thanks.

If the disc's them selves won't cut, adding more "wheels" t support the weight won't help one bit. What you need is weight. Big "tillage disc's" are higher on pounds per disc than finishing disc's. And wait 'till you get a load of what a complete coulter assembly will cost you. They're available through places like Shoup, Agri-Supply, Valu-Bilt, ect....

Another thought. It may just be that you need to wait until the ground has a little moisture in it before attemting to disc. This time of the year, ground generally is about as dry as it gets all year. That makes it like trying to disc concrete.

I just walked in the house from hooking up my disc to work up 28 acres of pasture starting at daybreak tomorrow. We've had a fair amount of rain, so the ground here is "workable". (supposed to rain some tonight. If it's less than 1/4" and it's done by morning, I'm up and at it first light)