sway chains

/ sway chains #1  

roxynoodle

Platinum Member
Tractor
Yanmar 1510d, 1950 Farmall H
Hi, I have a Yanmar YM1510D and need sway chains on my 3ph. Without them implements sometimes hit or even get stuck in my rear tires. Apparently there is nowhere to attach them on the 1510. Hoye tractor used to sell adapters for this model for sway chains but does not know when he will make more. So I'm kind of stuck here (literally sometimes!) I'm really not sure how to go about attaching them on my tractor. I know one end attaches to the 3ph, but where and how should I attach the other end to my tractor? I am hoping one of you innovative people can help me out. No one on the Yanmar forum has responded with how they got them on their 1510.

aaatrailer tractor 009_edited.jpg

zzztrailer tractor 010.jpg

/ sway chains #2  
Take a look at this picture and see if it might help, it looks different from yours but there maybe something I'm not seeing.3 point hitch

/ sway chains
Yep, I don't have those places to attach the chains to my tractor. I don't have a drawbar either. I have discovered the 1510 is something of an oddity in the Yanmar line. I bookmarked that page though to see if I can make something like that. Thanks for finding it. That's the best picture I've seen of the 3ph on a Yannie.

/ sway chains #4  
My JD doesn't have chains either, but it does have a block on each side that is adjustable outwardly. It stops the sway by preventing the drawbar on the opposite side from moving too far inward, instead of controling the outward movement of them, if that makes sense. Since both drawbars move together, limit the movement of one stops the other. If you can find anywhere under your tractor to mount a flatbar, and when it clears the back of the tractor, have two sides come up, and mount a block of wood on them, it would effectively stop your problem. Too bad you don't have a drawbar, since that is a great place to start with one.
Here is a shot that has the blocks in them.
David from jax

27678d85.jpg

Note the dipstick missing, as that is why this picture was taken. Trying to find a replacement dipstick, since JD doesn't stock them anymore, except multifunction plastic pieces of junk. My tractor seems to be a little different than some of the other 2555 John Deeres.

/ sway chains #5  
Can't really tell from your photo but it looks like there is a flat mounting surface on the bottom of the rear housing. If so a couple of pieces of flat stock bolted on them with a mounting hole for the chains would be an easy fix. Or just a chain mounted to a bolt under there.

/ sway chains
I'm not sure I can bolt anything to the rear housing. If I were to drill and tap for bolts, wouldn't I penetrate too far and have diff/trans fluid coming out? I wonder if a drawbar could be welded on?

Sandman, a thought on your dipstick is that maybe a Yanmar one would fit your Deere. Is that the dipstick for the diff/trans fluid? I know the Yanmar dealers don't have a cross reference book for the JDs but they have gotten calls from JD dealers looking for Yanmar parts for older JD tractors that they don't have parts for anymore (and they suspect JD has a cross reference book to Yanmar). Hard to tell the age of your tractor from the photo but if it has a Yanmar engine it is possible one of those dipsticks would fit also.

/ sway chains #7  
bx23barry said:
Can't really tell from your photo but it looks like there is a flat mounting surface on the bottom of the rear housing. If so a couple of pieces of flat stock bolted on them with a mounting hole for the chains would be an easy fix. Or just a chain mounted to a bolt under there.

Roxy, I think you need to crawl under your tractor and see if there isn't already four holes drilled and tapped into the housing. I'm guessing there is a bracket that can be added to install a fixed drawbar sticking out the back like most tractors have. I'm including a picture to show what I mean about a fixed drawbar. Anyway, you could use those existing holes to do as Barry said and have a bracket made with a drilled tab sticking out the back on each side to fasten a chain to. Then fasten the other end to the lift arm of course.

Attachments

• rear lift 3.jpg
    rear lift 3.jpg
    134.6 KB · Views: 395
   / sway chains #8  
If I were doing it, I'd want to pick up at least two bolt holes with a plate, then hook a chain to the plate. I think you'd put a lot of stress on one bolt in the diff housing if you just attached to one bolt.

Likely, it would be ok, but I'd not want to chance tearing out the differential.

ron

/ sway chains #9  
What is the Bolt with the Yellow Arrow pointing too??

If there is a Matching bolt on the other Side , or better yet , 4 Bolts down there to have a plate made. For Both Sway chain attachment and a Drawbar.

Attachments

• aaatrailer-tractor-009_edit.jpg
    aaatrailer-tractor-009_edit.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 353
   / sway chains #10  
My 1602D is very similar, here's how I did it..........

Attachments

• Sway chains2.jpg
    Sway chains2.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 556
  • Sway chains1.jpg
    Sway chains1.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 407