FEL Electric Winch

/ FEL Electric Winch #1  

K7147

Silver Member
Tractor
L4330HSTC
Hi Kids!

I just installed an electric logging/recovery winch in a somewhat unusual manner on my new Kubota L4330. I had almost the exactly the same installation on my previous L3600 and it provided many years of excellent service. I though someone in the forum might be interested in the installation.

Essentially, I wanted a winch to skid out logs from the thicker sections of the forest, move leaning “widow maker” tree falls from a safe distance, and have a potential vehicle recovery winch to be used in an emergency. I also didn’t want the winch to impede use of either front or rear mounted implements. I couldn’t justify the cost of hydraulic winches and this is what I came up with.

Before I show the installation I’ll mention that I’ve not had any battery/electrical problems with regard to the winch and always try to use it in a “straight on” pulling manner to minimize any stress on the loader assembly. I also always use the 12’ remote control to operate the winch away from the straight line cable (be-heading) path. I curl or raise the bucket to alleviate undue stresses from jammed logs or imbedded stump ends.

The photographs show the essential installation, however, some of the bracing and welding had yet to be completed when they were taken. Also, the old winch cable had yet to be replaced. The winch in the photographs is a WARN 8,000 model.

Photo: Winch Mount: This shows the placement of the winch on the rear of the bucket. The winch sets on a hardwood block that protects the FEL paint from cable scrape and also provides a mounting surface for the cover snaps. The winch is through-bolted via a backing plate inside the bucket. You will note that I had to cut the ears of the quick-detach arms for winch clearance.

Photo: Winch Power lead: This is the power lead from the battery. It is equipped with a “quick attach” coupling that has the upper end sealed with silicone. The final installation is a bit neater than shown in the photograph. The leads are connected directly to the tractor battery via a 12V circuit breaker. I drilled 1” holes on each side of the battery platform floor and exited the cable using both a rubber grommet and a short length of protective rubber hose to prevent cable chafe.

Photo: Winch Roller: This shows the mounting of the roller fairlead. The plate also serves as a deflective shield for the winch should a rock or dirt fall out of the top rear of the bucket.

Photo: Winch Cover: This photograph shows the respective position of the covered winch in place. The cover keeps dirt and water out of the winch when the FEL is used and also serves as a housing for the remote control and snatch blocks that are secured to the winch itself when it is not in use. The winch end of the power cable is also stored under this cover.

The winch does not effect the normal operation of the FEL bucket. The winch draws a large amount of amperage and works well if used judiciously. Excuse the repetition if this set up has been shown in the forum before.

Ken

Last edited:
   / FEL Electric Winch #2  
Nice set up. Out of curiosity about how heavy a log can you drag with this and how long is your winch cable? Have you ever dragged rocks with this? Rocks that normally could be picked up in the FEL or with a backhoe bucket that are in hard to get to locations could be dragged to a better location with this set up.

/ FEL Electric Winch #3  
K7147 said:
Hi Kids!

Photo: Winch Mount: This shows the placement of the winch on the rear of the bucket. The winch sets on a hardwood block that protects the FEL paint from cable scrape and also provides a mounting surface for the cover snaps. The winch is through-bolted via a backing plate inside the bucket. You will note that I had to cut the ears of the quick-detach arms for winch clearance.

Ken

Did you make an "Extension Tool" that fits back over the quick-detach STUBS, for easy bucket changes ?

It looks like bucket changes with the existing STUBS would be difficult to get enough leverage to disengage and engage the locking pins.

Dan

/ FEL Electric Winch
ccdck20hst said:
Nice set up. Out of curiosity about how heavy a log can you drag with this and how long is your winch cable? Have you ever dragged rocks with this? Rocks that normally could be picked up in the FEL or with a backhoe bucket that are in hard to get to locations could be dragged to a better location with this set up.

The largest log I’ve dragged has probably been a whole hardwood tree some sixty feet long and 24” diameter at the stump. The heaviest was a forty foot black cherry tree log that was trimmed and 32” diameter at the stump. I did drag a couple of rocks a short distance to get them away from obstacles. They weighed about a ton and I used a harness to the cable hook end. Usually on very heavy items I’ll use multiplying blocks to take stress of the winch. The cable is 125 feet long. Glad you like the set up. It adds a real safety factor when dealing with “leaner” trees or trees surrounded by high up deadwood.

Ken

/ FEL Electric Winch
deerhunterf350 said:
Did you make an "Extension Tool" that fits back over the quick-detach STUBS, for easy bucket changes ?

It looks like bucket changes with the existing STUBS would be difficult to get enough leverage to disengage and engage the locking pins.

Dan

Hi Dan!

Actually, the shortened ears can still be easily operated manually by hand. Just to be on the safe side I made up a couple of “L” shaped tubes that fit over the ears in case they should become balky in the future. I even kept the ear cut offs in case I ever want to sell the tractor and the new owner wants it restored to original.

Ken

/ FEL Electric Winch #6  
Ken,
You said that you had not had any battery or alternator problems at this point. Electric winches eat up some battery power so I was wondering if you had a feel for how much you can use the winch before your battery gets weak? It is an interesting set up and I can see how it would be useful. If you had an extra bucket that you could pick up when the winch was not needed that would be perfect. It does look like a straight on pull or the use of a snatch block would be important. I would not want to put a lateral load on the loader arms. Do you have any concerns about the QA attachment system holding a pulling load? I only ask because it seems that would not be the kind of load that would be anticipated in the design criteria.

Nice job. I like it when people think out of the box to solve a problem.

MarkV

/ FEL Electric Winch
MarkV said:
Ken,
You said that you had not had any battery or alternator problems at this point. Electric winches eat up some battery power so I was wondering if you had a feel for how much you can use the winch before your battery gets weak? It is an interesting set up and I can see how it would be useful. If you had an extra bucket that you could pick up when the winch was not needed that would be perfect. It does look like a straight on pull or the use of a snatch block would be important. I would not want to put a lateral load on the loader arms. Do you have any concerns about the QA attachment system holding a pulling load? I only ask because it seems that would not be the kind of load that would be anticipated in the design criteria.

Nice job. I like it when people think out of the box to solve a problem.

MarkV

Hi MarkV!

Thanks for the compliment. Many old timer locals thought it was an idiot idea when I first installed the set-up in 1997 on my L3600 and now I see that at least two of them have followed suit! The QA attachment system has a rather solid locking mechanism and I suspect that the forward stress dragging a log might be less than normal back-dragging with the bucket. The winch does indeed chew up the amps, however, the key word in my initial post was “judicial”. I raise the engine/alternator rpm’s during the operation and for at least a time afterward to try to replenish the battery. If a log butt gets very stuck I use the bucket curl or lift the loader arms to get it free rather than crunch away with the winch. If I do a long log drag I wait for the unit to cool before attempting the next drag. If I drag a large log 100 feet I’ll then spend the next ten to fifteen minutes trimming limbs and allowing the battery to recover a portion of the lost charge. Since the overall cost was almost $4,000 less than a normal hydraulic winch I was prepared to replace an extra battery here and there or even an alternator when contemplating the L3600 installation in 1997. The batteries lasted about four years which is normal for our climate. I never did have to replace an alternator over that nine year period of time. I also constantly check the warmth of the winch motor and “judiciously” avoid severely stressing the system. I did use the winch system on one occasion to “recover” the tractor when digging a pond. I don't see the need for a second bucket as you suggest as the winch has zero impact on any normal FEL function. What can I say? It worked over a period of nine years and I hope I’ll have the same luck with the installation on the new tractor.

Ken

/ FEL Electric Winch #8  
A Mile Marker Hyd winch rated to pull 10,500 pounds will not run you batteries down and they only cost about 700 bucks. The motor does not get hot and they are 2 speed and reversible. I do like your idea of mounting to the bucket. Also the Mile Marker only requires 15 gpm at 1500 psi or lower when it what your 4330 will produce.

/ FEL Electric Winch
Deerlope said:
A Mile Marker Hyd winch rated to pull 10,500 pounds will not run you batteries down and they only cost about 700 bucks. The motor does not get hot and they are 2 speed and reversible. I do like your idea of mounting to the bucket. Also the Mile Marker only requires 15 gpm at 1500 psi or lower when it what your 4330 will produce.

Hi Deerlope!

I went to the Mile Marker hydraulic winch site and noted that they run this winch off the power steering system with specific adaptor kits for certain road vehicles. It looks like a nice winch. Do you use this winch on your L3830? If so, do you run it off lever activated hydraulic lines or from the power steering unit on the Kubota? I didn’t see any adaptor kit for any Kubota and wonder if you use it off the Kubota power steering unit did you make your own adaptors? Does it alter the Kubota power steering characteristics? If you run it off the Kubota hydraulic system how do you like the system and where is the winch mounted? Where are you getting the power for the remote control solenoid? Thanks……

Ken

/ FEL Electric Winch #10  
K7147
I built a skidding winch frame and mounted the winch on it. I plug it into my rear remote hyd. I got a lot of dead Tamrack trees that I use for fire wood in my outdoor furance. All I bought was just the winch and I think that with S&H I paid around 700 bucks. I have sliders on the cable so I can hook up 2 or 3 tress at once and pull them all out together.