want to add a brake light

/ want to add a brake light #1  

GaryS

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota L3901 & LA525
I can't tell you how many times I've left the brake while driving my tractor. I have a Massey 1428v and really need to add a brake light. I'd like to add it so that it lights up on the dashboard. Anyone ever do this? Any pointers or tips?

/ want to add a brake light #2  
Just find a place that you can place a micro switch that will go on when you depress the pedal and install a pilot light on the dash and wire to the batter with a fuse in place. Determining the type of switch and placement is going to be the hard part, but Radio Shack has a good variety of switches. If you have a problem attaching it, consider some of the new adhesives that seem to hold anything to everything. Let us know how the project goes. Dusty

/ want to add a brake light #4  
   / want to add a brake light #5  
Motorcycle switches, that's a great idea farmwithjunk. Why didn't I think of that? I could have had the only "Kubota-Davidson" in town. :cool:

/ want to add a brake light #6  
The light indicator is an improvement over no warning at all. My tractor has a big red brake light that comes on whenever you step on the brake and also when when the parking brake is applied. So the micro switch is attached to the brake levers instead of just on the parking brake lever like BX2230Dude did.

However, obviously not being not too bright here, I STILL drive off with the parking brake AND light on! So here's what I'm thinking....
If there was a way ... like on some cars ... when you put it into gear the parking brake kicks off automatically? Has that been done on tractors? If so, I'd like to learn how to do THAT. Then I wouldn't have to worry about releasing the parking brake ever?
Thanks,

/ want to add a brake light #8  
I imagine you'd have to redesigne your parking brake so that it could be solenoid released.. that might take some doing. Might be easier to wire it so that a buzzer sounds if you put it in gear with parking brake on.

Soundguy

3RRL said:
The light indicator is an improvement over no warning at all. My tractor has a big red brake light that comes on whenever you step on the brake and also when when the parking brake is applied. So the micro switch is attached to the brake levers instead of just on the parking brake lever like BX2230Dude did.

However, obviously not being not too bright here, I STILL drive off with the parking brake AND light on! So here's what I'm thinking....
If there was a way ... like on some cars ... when you put it into gear the parking brake kicks off automatically? Has that been done on tractors? If so, I'd like to learn how to do THAT. Then I wouldn't have to worry about releasing the parking brake ever?
Thanks,

/ want to add a brake light #9  
I would head for a salvage yard and pick up a brake light switch off most any automobile for a couple of bucks. It should be an easy matter to mount it on the tractor.

/ want to add a brake light #10  
Having just drove off yesterday with the brakes set on the tractor, I may have to look into doing this. Thanks for the idea.