PHD experiences today

/ PHD experiences today #1  

AlanB

Elite Member
Tractor
NH 1925
Well, I was thinking about several of the threads on here today, the DW brought the tractor back today so that I could use the PHD to build some bunkers for mulch at the storage property.

So I had bought a new 12" auger to sink some RR ties with, but wanted to verify that it would fit before welding a removal pipe on it.

So there I am pulling off the 18" auger which has been on a while (and I forgot how heavy that darn thing is) and looked at it and there is a 12" length of phone cable sticking out from between the auger teeth........ :)

Now there will be a story to go with that I bet...... :)

Anyway, so everything fits, I am running out of daylight, I think, ahhh, those other guys say they never stick a PHD, I must just be a wimp,,,, but I thought about it a minute, cut myself a small piece of pipe and welded it too the top flight of the auger.... Put everything together, wanted to get the first post in, everything was going well and picked up a root, and screwed itself into the ground.....

Well, grab the wrecking bar, little upwards pressure on the auger and about 1 turn backwards and out it comes. Much better then having to run home to get a pipe wrench I can assure you... :) For once it went all my way....

And the phone line was about 3' from where TN one call had marked it............

/ PHD experiences today #2  
Sounds like all worked out well. I'm glad to see you called for a UFPO to have the utilities located...If you have a pic of how you welded on the pipe it would be appreciated. Thanks..

/ PHD experiences today
The liability if we don't call is just too high.

Usually she just has the customer call.

So far we have only had a couple scares...... I chopped through a copper gas line someone had run for a street lantern... That got my attention.

I had the pictures posted here before somewhere, might turn up in a search, but meant to post pictures on the stand on that thread that got drug up again so I will try and grab some newer ones.

/ PHD experiences today #4  
I had dig safe call the utility's to locate all my underground cables when I put my pool in. The problem is so many people do there own work or by private contractors. I have water lines to my barn as well as power. I was fortunate I have contact with the owner that built the place. You always have to assume there are things underground put in privately and also not as deep as it should be.