Hyd. Top Link

/ Hyd. Top Link #1  

mr.wayne

I have an MX5000 Kubota. I want to put a hyd. top link on it. With the top link all the way in it measures 211/2" and with it all the way out it measures 331/4". All the way out it puts the front cutting edge about 2'' off the ground. Will I need this much in and out or can I shorten this any and still have enough to do what I need? I'm new at this, so bare with me.
Thanks Wayne

/ Hyd. Top Link #2  
Your top link has a 12" stroke. I doubt that you will ever need to go from one extreme to the other. Since you are most likely going to use this with ground engaging equipment, your adjustments will probalby be a few inches to just change the angle of attack.

Remember, the hydraulic top link is not a substitute for the 3pt. You lower the 3pt and make your fine adjustments for angle of attack with the HTL. There may be reasons for going from one extreme to the other but in 3+ years with mine I have never had anything that required amount of adjustment. However, having plenty of adjustment does have some advantages when initially hooking up equipment.

/ Hyd. Top Link
Thanks Mad. So what I'd order is a cylinder with a 12" stroke? I read the threads on different diameter cylinders also. The box blade I have is a 6' with hyd. scarifiers. It weighs around 850 lbs. My top link is cat 1 on tractor end and cat 2 on outer end. What size cylinder do you recommend I get according to this size box blade? I also have about 1 1/4" from the back of the hole to the housing on the tractor. Was thinking maybe a cat 2 on the tractor might fit. This would allow a cat 2 on both ends of the hyd. cylinder. What do you think?
Thanks Wayne

/ Hyd. Top Link #4  
Cylinders are not rated Cat 1 or Cat 2. The attaching pin diameter along with the strength of the lift arms and heavy dutyness of the attachments themselves determine the category. Furthermore, the HTL is not a lifting device. It's main job is to adjust the angle of attack of the implement. A 2" or 2.5" bore cylinder is more than adequate for your MX5000 tractor. If you want the most flexibility get a cylinder with Cat 2 ends and extra bushings to make them Cat 1. This will allow either type of attachment pins. Check with CCM as they may still have some Cat 2 cylinders left that have check valves.

/ Hyd. Top Link #6  
If it helps any, here is a picture of my M4900 with the CCM Top & Tilt system. The Top cylinder is a Cat 1 size. The extension length is great but sometimes I wish it would retract a tad more. I moved the attachment point lower to compensate and that worked fine.

Attachments

• 0264.jpg
    0264.jpg
    711.3 KB · Views: 586
   / Hyd. Top Link
FarmGeek, what is the length of the cylinder when closed? And what's the stroke on the cylinder. I'm wanting to be sure to have enough retractable length also. Thanks for pics too. Did you get this from CCM?
Wayne

/ Hyd. Top Link #9  
mr.wayne said:
FarmGeek, what is the length of the cylinder when closed? And what's the stroke on the cylinder. I'm wanting to be sure to have enough retractable length also. Thanks for pics too. Did you get this from CCM?
Wayne
Hi mr.wayne,

I will happily measure the top link once I get back to the farm but that won't be until next weekend. Work, or that place that enables my tractor addiction, is keeping me away this week.

It is a CCM system. They even made the hoses for me.

/ Hyd. Top Link #10