Cab Backhoe Controls?

/ Cab Backhoe Controls? #1  

K7147

Silver Member
Tractor
L4330HSTC
Hi Kids!

I was wondering if anyone had a backhoe mounted behind a cab tractor and had ever considered some form of backhoe control lever extensions such that the backhoe could be operated without leaving the driver’s seat? I have a Kubota 4330HSTC and a Woods BH90-X equipped with a thumb. The latched rear cab window opens upward to expose the backhoe controls to the driver. I’m not looking to operate the backhoe from the driver’s seat on a regular basis, however, it would be nice to have use of the thumb/backhoe bucket to quickly grasp and move some item without leaving the driver’s seat or go through the contortions of leaning out the rear window to manipulate the backhoe controls. I’m considering two short “quick-attach” control lever extension arms to be stored in the cab and that can be attached to the normal backhoe control levers without leaving the cab. I’ve considered other options to include R/C “joystick” solenoids although the cost and complexity started to become issues.

Any input concerning this concept would be appreciated although I’ll ignore any sanity related issues!:D

Ken

/ Cab Backhoe Controls?
Since I got no response it must have been considered a dumb idea? Anyway, I ended up using two simple extension arms made of schedule 40 PVC elbows and straight pipe. The far elbow slips over the vertical backhoe control levers and provides sufficient leverage to maneuver the backhoe from within the cab. The extensions easily slips on and off the backhoe controls and are stored in the cab. I can now back up to a log or brush pile and manipulate the backhoe without exiting the cab. Was it really that dumb an idea? Perhaps…..but it works!

Ken

/ Cab Backhoe Controls? #3  
I think most of the "industrial" type backhoes for construction have a single seat setup. You just spin seat around to face rear and go to work. I guess on a smaller CUT, they have 2 seperate seats?? Any pictures, maybe that would have helped with your explanation to begin with. No such thing as dumb ideas, well, maybe 20 sheets of plywood on top of a Yugo, but other than that.

/ Cab Backhoe Controls? #4  
Not a dumb idea at all. I have a small Kabota and a zillion berry-bush piles and a few tree-tops blown down.
I would love to see an implement lighter then a backhoe I could manipulate from the drivers seat as you described. Just back up to it-drop the bucket/forks to snag it and drive forward.

/ Cab Backhoe Controls?
Knotbored said:
Not a dumb idea at all. I have a small Kabota and a zillion berry-bush piles and a few tree-tops blown down.
I would love to see an implement lighter then a backhoe I could manipulate from the drivers seat as you described. Just back up to it-drop the bucket/forks to snag it and drive forward.

Hi!

Perhaps I should clarify what I was trying to accomplish. I have a Kubota 4330HSTC (cab) that is equipped with a Woods HB90-X and a thumb on the backhoe.
In order to operate the backhoe on this cab equipped CUT one must exit the cab and assume a sitting position on the separate backhoe seat. Often, I’ve had the situation where it would have been nice to manipulate the backhoe with thumb to grasp piles of bush or a log without taking the time exit the main cab and assume a seated position on the secondary seat for the backhoe. Even if I didn’t have a tractor with a cab it still would be nice to occasionally make use of the backhoe without getting out of the tractor and mounting the separate backhoe seat. The problem is that one can’t reach the backhoe controls from the tractor seat without sustaining a hernia!:eek:

What I did was design a very simple extension arm consisting of schedule 40 PVC pipe that would allow me to manipulate the backhoe controls without exiting the tractor main seat. The arrangement is quite simple and appears to work as desired. It consists of a straight piece of PVC pipe of sufficient diameter to slip over the control arm knobs of the backhoe controls. This is attached to a 90 degree PVC coupling that directs the extension arm towards the operator position. A straight length of PVC is then glued into the 90 degree coupling to extend the control arm towards the cab seat. At the end I used another 90 degree coupling to provide a better grip on this extension arm. I’m sorry I can’t provide a photograph of the arrangement but the backhoe has been replaced for the winter with my snow-blower. Besides, there appeared to be little initial interest in this project.:confused:

The bottom line is that I can now set the thumb on the backhoe to the appropriate open position and back up to a pile of brush or a log and then use the new control extension arm to manipulate the backhoe boom or bucket to grasp desired items and move them to another location…..without getting out of the primary operator’s seat. When done with the task at hand you simply slip the extension arms off and store them in the cab. You do not have “extended” control of the backhoe plant legs.

I used this control arm extension for an entire day while moving a large area of brush from the woods to a burn pile. It worked perfectly, did not break, and the total cost was under $5!:cool:

Ken