High flow intake/exhaust

/ High flow intake/exhaust #1  

davemhughes

Silver Member
Tractor
SAME 40hp turbo charged 4cyl diesel w/fel
Want to explore this. I did this to my dodge diesel 4x4 dually and it made a noticable. Thinking a high flow air intake filter and a larger less restrictive exhaust on my diesel tractor would have the same effect as these diesel engines are choked and the easier you make the engine breathe the more power and responsive it would be. The old engine is an air pump theory. Anyone doing this on their tractor. Also thinking of getting the next size larger injectors for it. I mean an engine is an engine no matter if it is in a tractor or not.

/ High flow intake/exhaust #2  
By opening up the exhaust on your truck, it lowers back pressure, which allows the turbo to spool up faster. You may not make much more power, but you'll get the power a little faster.

Most small tractors dont have a turbo. They can benefit from a little back pressure. It would be easy to try though...

On the intake, be careful... Tractors typically operate in a harsh environment of dust. Unless the intake is proven to perform BETTER than the stock intake/filter, I would shy away from it...

/ High flow intake/exhaust
Thanks for the reply RobertN.
As mine has a turbo it would help I think. Stock intakes I admit are designed to be effective but they are also designed to be cheap to produce and really choke the engine down. The exhaust being larger does allow the turbo to spool up faster but it helps move exhaust gases out efficiently and more efficient you move air in and exhaust out creates more torgue. Hp is just a mathmatical number. There are some really good high flow intakes out there now. I think its worth exploring and trying. Could be a cost effective way of getting more power out of what I got plus I have not read anything on it so who knows? Would love it if some others were interested in exploring this and network and help each other modify our tractors. I know I tend to enjoy doing this type stuff.

Last edited:
   / High flow intake/exhaust #4  
I agree that it should help and it is always nice to have MORE POWER (grunt, grunt).
However, the comon sense side of me is saying that it is not worth the effort because with these little tractors, traction is usually the limiting factor. Not horsepower.

Very good point as I spin the tires in 4x4 mode now.....maybe fill them to get a little better bite. Went over to the large auto parts plae here and was looking at different intakes and getting ideas as to what I make work. I am going to do some measuring of clearances under the hood to see just what I can in there then if I have there clearance pull my exhaust off when I have some down times as I have been using my tractor daily and take it down to the muffler shop and have them copy it but with larger diameter pipe. I will keep my turbo down pipe and just weld the new section on to it.

/ High flow intake/exhaust #6  
Read an article in an diesel mag recently where they tested high flow inakes vs. stock. Interesting results, No H.P. gain at all. I was surprised.

As far as intakes, I just replaced the element on my P.S. and moved on. Turbos will pull the air they need. I replaced the filter on my RC-100 with a K&N but it has an inner filter also. I really changed it so I could wash and reuse.

I know my P.S. filter is not on a tractor but the theory applies.

/ High flow intake/exhaust #7  
davemhughes said:
Would love it if some others were interested in exploring this and network and help each other modify our tractors. I know I tend to enjoy doing this type stuff.

Dave, I can appreciate your thoughts as I have wanted to do some mods to my little TC24DA. I have tweaked the injection pump a little and it has helped. I would love to get into other areas of increasing power. I have been seriously looking into turbocharging. This of course opens a whole big can of worms in order to make it work dependably.

Others have said, "if you want more power, get a bigger tractor." Yes, but I would like to have something unique.

I'm sure after investing time and money in making it work, I would probably just find another weak point as things are made to work the way they left the factory.

/ High flow intake/exhaust #8  
While I am a great hp nut and can't leave anything stock (I bet you couldn't find a stock part under my 401 powered jeep) I have to say tractors seldom lack HP. Even a D10 will spin the tracks before it runs out of power. When I was younger we put V8s in a few old tractors to cut hops but that was for speed (RPM ; gears would have done the same thing but none were available) not power (ok power was kool). Ever go 50mph on an IH "M" cutting hops? Now that's a ride! Dumb kids, It's a wonder I'm alive today. While you may get a few hp out of intake/exhaust changes I don’t think you will get any more "work" done and may tear up some expensive parts.

Robbie Hegwood said:
Read an article in an diesel mag recently where they tested high flow inakes vs. stock. Interesting results, No H.P. gain at all. I was surprised.

I really do believe in the engine air pump theory of performance and have built several performance HD bikes as well as Diesel truck mods with almost all of them being dyno'd and the more effiencently air flows in and out of an engine the greater the output in torque. Now there does reach a point with diesels where more fuel has to be added to get anymore output.

For me this is part "I just can not leave well enough alone" and part doing something others are not doing. Just love to tinker with engines, with aircooled ones and diesels being my favorite.

Also working on a much better designed and functional ROPS system. Want it shorter in height but flared out with expanded metal welded in the back and sides. Something that keeps your arms in and your back/head protected better......like I said, I can never leave well enough alone. Hummmm......gives me an idea of routing the intake and exhaust up along a front operator work area ROPS system......see how it happens for me.....:D

/ High flow intake/exhaust #10  
I thought you all might be interested in this link Bully Dog is the world leader in diesel performance parts, for Ford, Dodge and GM trucks.

It seems that there is a market for increasing the horsepower, at least on John Deere Tractors.

I don't think I would do anything to the intake system on a tractor as the 2 stage filters are extremely effective in removing dust in the environment they were designed for. I have a neighbor that "dusted" a Massey because he didn't clip the air cleaner box correctly. Wouldn't even consider using a guaze type (K&N) on a tractor.

JMHO.

Chris-