Spud bar storage on FEL (Pry bar)

/ Spud bar storage on FEL (Pry bar) #1  

mars1952

Silver Member
Tractor
1999 John Deere 4300 12/12 sync-reverse
Hi Everyone:
I have been storing my spud bar on my FEL for about three years now. The cross member makes a convenient place to store it. I am on my second bungee cord the first one lasted about two years. At first I had a pry bar that was made in China stored there but it was slightly longer than the FEL bucket and I snagged it on a tree one day. I managed to straighten out the pry bar and shortly after that I found an old made in USA pry bar buried next to the corn crib. Who no how long it had been there. I knocked off about a pound of heavy rust and treated it with Rust Cure. It's just the right length and it was free so I'm not too worried about the rust.
Marshall

Attachments

• Pry in FEL 1.jpg
    Pry in FEL 1.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 1,285
  • Pry in FEL 2.jpg
    Pry in FEL 2.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 1,084
   / Spud bar storage on FEL (Pry bar) #2  
Good idea for location to carry it:D , bad idea using bungee cord:mad: . I would hate to be traveling down the hiway and have that bar meet me coming down the road. Might want to secure with a pin and short piece of chain.

/ Spud bar storage on FEL (Pry bar)
Hi BTDT:
Are you suggesting that I drill a pin hole in the bar? That's easier said than done. I'd probably have to mount it up in the drill press. The bungees have held up well for three years and they cut down on the rattle. I only changed the last one because it was loosing its stretch.
Marshall

BTDT said:
Good idea for location to carry it:D , bad idea using bungee cord:mad: . I would hate to be traveling down the hiway and have that bar meet me coming down the road. Might want to secure with a pin and short piece of chain.

/ Spud bar storage on FEL (Pry bar) #4  
mars1952 said:
Hi BTDT:
Are you suggesting that I drill a pin hole in the bar? That's easier said than done. I'd probably have to mount it up in the drill press. The bungees have held up well for three years and they cut down on the rattle. I only changed the last one because it was loosing its stretch.
Marshall
You could drill the bar, but I was thinking of welding a loop on top end or side near top. DPS Troopers down here make a good living writing tickets for what they consider "unsecured load".

Around here in WNC the stuff has to fall off for you to get a ticket. Welding sounds alot easier than drilling.
Marshall

/ Spud bar storage on FEL (Pry bar) #6  
That's a railroad lining bar. The square end is that shape to fit into a track jack. Dig around that corn crib some more and see if you can find a jack to go with the bar. They''re kind of handy too.

bigdad said:
That's a railroad lining bar. The square end is that shape to fit into a track jack. Dig around that corn crib some more and see if you can find a jack to go with the bar. They''re kind of handy too.

Hi BigDad:
That's an interesting idea. I was removing the top soil around the corn crib with a box scraper when I found the bar. I went down to the clay so I don't think there is anthing else to be found. Once I found the bar I did keep an eye out though. The bar looks just like a made in China pry bar that I recently purchase at Home Depot. One end is round, the other end is square with a bevel and middle is hex shaped. My tractor is out at my farm so I won't be able to take pictures until Monday but on Monday I will take a picture of the bar and post it.
Marshall

bigdad said:

Hi BigDad: Sorry for the delay. Here is a full picture of the of the pry bar compared to a made in China bar.
Marshall
P.S. I still need pictures of a 430 loader (or equivalent) in the dump position.

Attachments

• two pry bars.jpg
    two pry bars.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 548
   / Spud bar storage on FEL (Pry bar) #9  
I made a rack on the back of my tractor for it. I use a heavy duty rubber bungee...

Attachments

• rockbarrack_rs.jpg
    rockbarrack_rs.jpg
    21.6 KB · Views: 408
DMF said:
I made a rack on the back of my tractor for it. I use a heavy duty rubber bungee...
That look inconvenient. Probably doesn't rattle much either.
Marshall