Loader control valve, weird joystick pattern....

/ Loader control valve, weird joystick pattern.... #1  

montejw

Gold Member
Tractor
1980 AC 5020
I just received a joystick loader control valve I bought. Finally found some literature on it, now it seems to me that the joystick pattern is backwards.

Here is the "standard" pattern:

boom up

bucket tip neutral bucket rollback

boom down

Here is the "optional" pattern", which seems standard to me:

boom down

bucket rollback neutral bucket tip

boom up

Part of it might be me, coming from using a vertical sticked joystick on a backhoe at work. This control valve will be mounted horizontally.

Monte

/ Loader control valve, weird joystick pattern.... #2  
Since you don't tell us what brand valve you have, it is sort of difficult to help you.

However, you can change the direction of a function's movement by simply swapping it's work port connections. What was Up will then become Down. You just have to be careful with things like float and regen detents.

Some valves can actually change the direction by changing the linkage.

Basically I would need more info in order to help further.

/ Loader control valve, weird joystick pattern.... #3  
Eh? Sure beats what i'm using!

Soundguy

montejw said:
I just received a joystick loader control valve I bought. Finally found some literature on it, now it seems to me that the joystick pattern is backwards.

Part of it might be me, coming from using a vertical sticked joystick on a backhoe at work. This control valve will be mounted horizontally.

Monte

Attachments

• 100_0768 (Large).JPG
    100_0768 (Large).JPG
    114.4 KB · Views: 1,567
   / Loader control valve, weird joystick pattern....
MadReferee said:
Since you don't tell us what brand valve you have, it is sort of difficult to help you.

Oops. It's the Brand Hydraulics LV22RFSTKAB at Surplus Center.

Surplus Center Item Detail

Link to the "manual", pdf file about 2.2 mb.

http://www.brand-hyd.com/lv/lv0207.pdf

However, you can change the direction of a function's movement by simply swapping it's work port connections. What was Up will then become Down. You just have to be careful with things like float and regen detents.

Some valves can actually change the direction by changing the linkage.

Basically I would need more info in order to help further.
It's supposed to have regen for the bucket and float for the boom, so I'm not sure if I can just swap hoses.

Monte

/ Loader control valve, weird joystick pattern.... #5  
Nothing weird about that valve, other than the way they drew the picture for the standard configuration. Just rotate the standard valve 180 degrees in either direction so the hose side is on the left as you look down at the handle and you have the standard pattern that is on most every CUT. That orientation might make it hard to mount hoses but that is the design of the valve.

Awkard, maybe yes. Weird, absolutely not.

MadReferee said:
Nothing weird about that valve, other than the way they drew the picture for the standard configuration. Just rotate the standard valve 180 degrees in either direction so the hose side is on the left as you look down at the handle and you have the standard pattern that is on most every CUT. That orientation might make it hard to mount hoses but that is the design of the valve.

Awkard, maybe yes. Weird, absolutely not.

Yeah, I see that now, good eye. Awkward for sure. The valve mounts high, above the cowling. It would have to be mounted "on edge" with the hoses pointed over the engine cowling. The stick is horizontal pointed toward the rear of the tractor.

I spun the joystick anchor around 180. That gives me hoses up, valve flat, up stick is boom down. But left stick is bucket dump. If I make a new anchor plate and move the anchor to the opposite side it is now I'll have what I want.

Weird that they put those drawings sort of upside down.

Monte

Soundguy said:
Eh? Sure beats what i'm using!

Soundguy

So..... what's that hooked to? Looks old.

Monte

/ Loader control valve, weird joystick pattern.... #8  
montejw said:
So..... what's that hooked to? Looks old.

Monte

That is the loader control valve ( tapped off tractor hyds on the hyd top cover - 4gpm! ) on my 1955 ford 850 with ford 711 1-arm loader. In the pics, that's the one with the blue loader. i also have a near identical 1955 ford 660 with a ford 722 1-arm loader with a similar valve setup.

One spool is lift/drop, the other spool is dump/curl.

Way better than using a wheel barrow.. even if the controlls are a little odd!
Your joystick setup looks great to me.. etc.

Soundguy

Attachments

• 100_0770 (Small).JPG
    100_0770 (Small).JPG
    74.8 KB · Views: 1,262
  • frvwhr (Large).JPG
    frvwhr (Large).JPG
    95.5 KB · Views: 1,430
  • 660hay.jpg
    660hay.jpg
    21.8 KB · Views: 996
  • 850hay.jpg
    850hay.jpg
    17.3 KB · Views: 1,018
   / Loader control valve, weird joystick pattern.... #9  
i thought the bucket roll was weird on mine... but have come to like it

bucketdown nutral bucketup --->quickdump

so if you push right it ups then farther right past a detent quick dump, which I found great for flicking the joystick across the detent = wiggleing the bucket really well if your feathering material or have sticky material etc.

/ Loader control valve, weird joystick pattern.... #10  
Sounguy that is the most unique loader i've ever seen...wow. I just love those old machines/designs.