Exhaust pipe "flapper" source

/ Exhaust pipe "flapper" source #1  

MChalkley

Elite Member
Tractor
EarthForce EF-5 mini-TLB (2001)
Exhaust pipe \"flapper\" source

I'm looking for a source for the exhaust pipe "flappers" that you see on some equipment for my EF-5. Currently, it has a vertical pipe that faces to the right at a 90 degree angle at the top. I want to cut it off flush and put a cap on it to keep the rain out. The pipe is 1 11/16" OD. Does anybody have any ideas where I could find such an animal?

/ Exhaust pipe "flapper" source #2  
Re: Exhaust pipe

Mark,

Only one I could find online...but a search for "flapper rain cap" might do it.

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.farmequipmentunlimited.com/youngkubota/parts.htm>Young Parts and Equip</A> (close to the bottom of the page)

Kevin

/ Exhaust pipe "flapper" source #3  
Re: Exhaust pipe \"flapper\" source

Yes. I just saw these in the latest Agri Supply catalog. I'd try their web site.

Sim

/ Exhaust pipe "flapper" source #4  

I would try a heavy equipment dealer that offer small dozer,for they are a good grade flappers

/ Exhaust pipe "flapper" source #5  

Mark, Tractor Supply Co. has 9 sizes listed in their catalog; called "steel rain caps". Looks like the part number you'd want is 02-35338 for $4.99; fits outlet pipe sizes 1-3/4" to 1-13/16".

/ Exhaust pipe "flapper" source
Re: Exhaust pipe

Kevin - Thanks for the link! I checked Young's site out, then called them. They're nice folks. He spent about $8 in time describing a $5.85 item. He convinced me that the ones they sell are good quality, the same ones they've been selling for years, he said. Interestingly, their smallest model is for 1 1/2" to 1 11/16" OD exhaust pipes, the upper limit of which is precisely what I've got.

He even took time to tell me that if I mounted it with the flapper pivot toward the front, it wouldn't catch on limbs and it would seal the pipe off when you're trailering it, so it doesn't catch water and, even more importantly, if it's a turbo, it won't spin the turbo while it's dry. I was planning to mount it that way for just those reasons (a guy once told me that he knew of a tractor company that had numerous turbo failures on brand new tractors for that very reason), but it sure was neat that the guy who answered the phone knew all that and cared enough to tell me. Pretty impressive. As much as I bad-mouth dumb dealers, I make it a point to give credit where credit is due... /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif Needless to say, I ordered one from them - it's being shipped out today.

Sim - I searched all over the Agri Supply web site, but couldn't find any listed by them. Next time I get to the one in Petersburg, though, I'll check them out to see how they compare to the one I ordered from Young's.

Thomas - Excellent idea to look at dozer, etc. dealers. I'll do that next time I'm near some dealers. For now, the one I ordered will do, and if it's not the quality I hope it is, I'll try your suggestion.

Bird - Thanks for the info! I'll check theirs out sometime too. They have a few stores in the western part of the state and I'll probably be out there working on a project in a few weeks.

Ain't TBN cool? I had already done a half a dozen different Internet searches and came up with nothing but marine exhaust flappers and toilet valves. Now if I can just get a source for the wheels I asked about in my other message... Greedy, ain't I? /w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif

/ Exhaust pipe "flapper" source #7  

TSC has them, Quality had them till they went under. I see them at many tractor dealers.

/ Exhaust pipe "flapper" source #8  

I have the rain caps on my tractors. They do make the tractor noisier. They rattle while the tractors runs and if you idle down they open and close making the tractor sound like a Harley. /w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif

/ Exhaust pipe "flapper" source #9  

You could always use a "Poppin' Johnny" coffee can. With practice you can catch the can when you fire off the tractor! :)

Seriously now, this is another part available at your local OTR truck parts store.

/ Exhaust pipe "flapper" source #10  

Hey Mark, I can supply you with a weathercap for your Earthforce. Just let me know what the O.D. of your exhaust pipe is. Thanks, Bob Wolff ( a.k.a. tractorman)