converting a 3ph quick attach.

/ converting a 3ph quick attach. #1  

gemini5362

Veteran Member
Tractor
Montana 4940C
Let me get the disclaimers out of the way first. Pats is a great product from what I have read and in no way am I trying to make anything like it. I have a question for anyone with more fabrication experience than I have. I have the three point quick attach that they sell at harbor freight. It attaches on the 3 ph arms and at the top also. I dont like this unit but I have it. I am wondering why I cannot take and cut the quick attach off at the bottom and just leave the attachment arms that connect to the 3ph arms and then use my regular top link something like what they do with the one on pats quick attach. This would not be for sell and not be something that I think would be as good just something to make what I have work better.

/ converting a 3ph quick attach. #2  
I'm not design expert, but this seems structurally problematic. The first two issues I see are:

1. If you cut off the top, how to you lock the pins?
2. How do you keep the remaining units stable? (From rotating on the pin)

Just wondering...what don't you like about the unit?

/ converting a 3ph quick attach.
I don,t like the way you have to adapt all your implements to match the hitch. I dont like the way the top hooks up and that is pretty much it. I did not know how I would like it when I bought it and now I know.

the pins are self locking I believe you use the handles to unlock them. If you cut off all but the bottom part you would just cut the rod to the handles and make it shorter then reuse the handles.

I think you would use a c clamp to hold the back of the unit to keep it from rolling forward.

/ converting a 3ph quick attach. #4  
I've got one of those units too and haven't done anything with it yet. I bought it to mount on the fel so I could move 3pt equipment around without hooking up to the 3pt, and storing them in places. I've got the same problem and that is the width need to vary. I thought about cutting the top square tube and inserting a smaller square tube on each inside. Drill holes in both tubes for adjustment and lock with hitch pins. Think I'll give that a try.

/ converting a 3ph quick attach. #5  
Guys, buy the Pat's product and with the exception of possibly needing a longer toplink and the attachment being moved 3.5 inches further backon the lift arms, many of your problems will be made easier. Much easier thatn redesigning someone else's design. WIsh I had bought my Pat's long ago!!!
Greg Harrison

Greg that is good advice and I will probably take it. Actually it has some advantages in my hydraulic top link I bought is actually a couple of inches two long, that would take care of my problem.

This is actually just a fun project. I already have the other 3ph and I was wanting to make it useable. There are a lot of people on here with fabrication experience and I am hopeful someone has done this already or will have some useful ideas before I start cutting.

I do agree with your advice and it is very sound I just am going to have some fun with something that Is not in a usable condition for me at this time.

3RRL said:
I've got one of those units too and haven't done anything with it yet. I bought it to mount on the fel so I could move 3pt equipment around without hooking up to the 3pt, and storing them in places. I've got the same problem and that is the width need to vary. I thought about cutting the top square tube and inserting a smaller square tube on each inside. Drill holes in both tubes for adjustment and lock with hitch pins. Think I'll give that a try.

That is actually a very good idea. I want to get away from the toplink mount also or I would do what you are suggesting. That should make the problem with variable width implements go away. I believe you can get pre punched square tubeing that they use for making shelving units. That would save you a lot of drilling

/ converting a 3ph quick attach. #8  
Now I wish i had a top link that was too long, now I need a little longer one. But nothing is perfect! I do understand the need to fiddle and improve stuff!
Greg

/ converting a 3ph quick attach. #9  
Greg,
I have Pat's system too and it is great. I was not intending to use the HF thing for the 3pt. You should look into getting a hydraulic top link (if you don't have one already) from CCM. It works out to be the perfect length used in conjunction with Pat's system. Plus it will make life sooo much easier positioning your implement, let alone putting it on.

/ converting a 3ph quick attach. #10  
3RRL said:
Greg,
I have Pat's system too and it is great. I was not intending to use the HF thing for the 3pt. You should look into getting a hydraulic top link (if you don't have one already) from CCM. It works out to be the perfect length used in conjunction with Pat's system. Plus it will make life sooo much easier positioning your implement, let alone putting it on.

My tractor does not have the hydraulic outlet for it or I would already have one. I bet that makes for a sweet combination!
Appreciate the info
Greg Harrison