2007 Chef of the Year Southest & Olive Oil

/ 2007 Chef of the Year Southest & Olive Oil #1  

rox

Veteran Member
guess what? one of our best customers Kevin Walker from cherokee town & Country Club just won 2007 Chef of the Year Southeast region from the American Culinary Federation 2007 ACF Convention

Kevin is a Certified Master Chef, of which there are only 56 in the United States. For 3 years now we send him small mini bottles of each of the 5 varietals of oil we produce right after the harvest and he decides which ones he likes and then we ship him a small pallet of his choice. I knew he was going to use Mas Des Bories Olive Oil in the competition this year so pretty good news that he won the competition. This year he picked Aglandau, Salonenque and Grossane olive oils.

I forgot another chef win. When I was back home visiting my parnets in May nico went to an open air gourmet fair. I would say the native dish of Provence is Aoli. The ingredient in Aoli that more or less makes the dish is an olive oil and garlic mayonaise that you make. These Aoli competitions are real serious, I would say similar to a chilli cook-off or a barbque cook off. This woman comes around trying different producers olive oils and when she get by Nico she buys. She ued our olive oil to make her Aoli and she won first place. So that was pretty cool. i enjoy hearing that differnt chef's are using our olive oils and winning. obviouly the far majority fo the credit goes to the chef, we are jsut happy to be a small ingredient in their recipe of success.

Kevin Walker really really does like our olive oil it is so cool that he won this biggest chef competion (one for each region fo the USA) we are real proud of him.

Last edited:
   / 2007 Chef of the Year Southest & Olive Oil #2  
That is interesting Rox.:D

Any cooking using garlic and olive oil has to be good!:D :D :D

/ 2007 Chef of the Year Southest & Olive Oil #3  
Last night when I got in my wife had basil chicken with steamed broccoli and a baked potato ready. On the kitchen counter was a bottle of Rox's spicey olive oil. It's about a third gone already, two weeks or so and we don't cook with it.

We couldn't believe the difference in the taste of her oil and the stuff we've been buying. Our only complaint is it doesn't seem to go far or we're using more than we used to.........

We bought all three varieties and have only opened the peppery one. I like peppery anything, especially this time of year, with the mosquitos I consume vast quanities of garlic and peppers, think OFF from the inside out.

If you haven't went to igourmet.com and ordered her olive oil you need to do so.

/ 2007 Chef of the Year Southest & Olive Oil #4  
That bottle in my drawer that's calling out to me is getting louder and LOUDER!!!!

Congratulations Rox, it's nice to hear of all your success.

Eddie

/ 2007 Chef of the Year Southest & Olive Oil #5  
EddieWalker said:
That bottle in my drawer that's calling out to me is getting louder and LOUDER!!!!

Congratulations Rox, it's nice to hear of all your success.

Eddie

I think Rox has ruined us and we all have "olive oil on the brain". I just returned from a business trip to Rome, Italy. Guess what I brought back with me??? A varietal pack of olive oils!!

I need to sort back through all the threads on TBN and find out where to buy some of Rox's oil.

/ 2007 Chef of the Year Southest & Olive Oil #6  
gsganzer said:
I think Rox has ruined us and we all have "olive oil on the brain". I just returned from a business trip to Rome, Italy. Guess what I brought back with me??? A varietal pack of olive oils!!

I need to sort back through all the threads on TBN and find out where to buy some of Rox's oil.
Cheese, Specialty Food, Gourmet Gift Baskets, Cheese Gifts: igourmet

igormet.com Page 2 under olive oils--items listed alphabetically

/ 2007 Chef of the Year Southest & Olive Oil #7  
Thanks for the link Terri. I just placed an order. Now I just have to be patient....be patient....be patient... and wait for the brown truck to arrive. :p

/ 2007 Chef of the Year Southest & Olive Oil #8  
Curious as to what to do with olive oil other than for cooking.

I take it from some of these replies that you can use it like a sauce, dip, or dressing?

I cook with oils quite often, but have always used olive oil for those certain european dishes.

More advise welcome.

-Mike Z.

/ 2007 Chef of the Year Southest & Olive Oil
Thank you to everybody.
I am really weakening with Eddie Walker having that 3 liter tank of olive oil I sent him to share with other TBN members at Octoberfest. He has been hinting, rather loudly I may say :) ,about having to wait until October to try it. It does have a security seal on the tank and Bird an ex-Police detective is assigned to make sure the seal is in tact. I have pondered this and pondered this and have decided tough, he is jsut going to have to wait. So if you want a free sample head over to Eddie & Stephanie Wlkers for the TBN Octoberfest they are having. Sorry Eddie & Steph but I think it should rather be like champagne, you wait until the part to open the bottle.

Wrought Iron Harv, really you are my hero. The things you do, the skills and talent you have and the way you take the time to educate us all on TBN is unbelievable. To get such a high compliment from you on Mas des Bories Olive Oil is really really special. Hey everybody Wought Iron Harv loves the stuff. To me that is almost better than any award we have won. Honestly.

riptides- You can sjut dip bread in olive oil. You can make a salad dressing and I'll give you a very good recipe below and really you can and should cook with it. I'll put some recipies below.

Everybody keep your fingers crossed for us, I have been e-mailing back and forth with the Editor of Food and Wine Magazine and sent him out samples. he says he is going to try the samples in a few weeks. It would be so great if we could get a nice article about our olive oil in that magazine. The Milwaukee Journal should be doing an article in the next 2 weeks and that will help.

Building a Brand is just like building a house, it is merely a lot of little steps one after the other, keep plugging away to get your brand recognized, and more importantly bought. You jsut keep working at it little by little, e-mail by e-mail, label by label, poop sheet by poop sheet. i spend an enormus amount of time just developing the brand and am so appreciatve of anyone who actually buys our olive oil. And then to hear people say "We never had olive oil like this before" well actually it is so rewarding it brings a tear to my eye. So thank you everyone, really thank YOU!

There are so many ways to do a crappy job, when you pick, you mix the olives from one varietal with another so when they go through the press they are mixed. You don't take all the olives to the mill and make SURE they are pressed the same day. To make a full load you hold over olvies from one day tot he next. You don't verify that the mill is ONLY pressing your olives in one pressing and NOT mixing your olives with other peoples olives. You have old oil and bottle it as a newer years harvest. You over water so that you get more oil but the flavor is so-so. There are lots of ways to be lazy and still produce olive oil. It is so rewarding to work our A**es off and read these comments.

Better get you some recipies of what you can do with Mas Des Bories Olive Oil and also please do look at the Award sheet I'll attach. Even jsut makign that award shet takes time at the computer to do a good job on it.

Aglandau is the peppery olive oil Of all the varietals we grow Aglandau has the msot variation year by year (or think of it as vintage by vintage). One year it is so peppery you can't even hardly stand to have it in your mouth, the next year (last year) it was all fruity harly no pepper. This year is a perfect balance very fruity but then with a pepper kick at the back of your throat. You can use the Aglandau for cooking. Sautee some chicken breastes in Mas des bories Aglandau... ahhhhh delicious. It gives a flavor to the chicken breast like you have never had before. Really for steaks Aglandau is the best. Brush on Aglandau olive oil, salt pepper an herbs de provence and grill or sautee BEST int he world. Really good. Also Aglandau is good with garlic.

AOC- My personal favorite for simply pouring over sliced garden tomatoes. Yum-ym. Slice the tomatoes pour on Mas des Bories AOC olive oil, salt and pepper and eat. You don't een need a lot of olive oil on the tomatoes, jstu a little brings upt he flavor of the tomatoes. AOC is kind of like the pliars in your toolbox. It is the all purpose olive oil that you can cook French Fries with, finish sautee vegetables, use on any meat. Oh and Pasta!!! Cook your pasta till done, drain and cool ist down with cold water. Get a big old frying pan and pour in Mas des bories Olive oil and put the cooked pasta in the frying pan with the hot oil. You never ahd pasta taste so good. It is just all purpose.

Bouteillan Olive oil - Ahhhh this is the olvie oil for fish. Any seafood. Love shrimp? Love deep fried or peeled shrimp? Peeled shrimp. Buy fresh shrimp. boil, peel and then get a big frying pan and pour in the Bouteillan Olive Oil heat it up and throw back int he shrimp, heat up the shrimp in the olive oil and serve. Yum-Yum. Oh and Salmon this is the best olive oil for Salmon. Bouteillan naturally has a fruity floral flavor with a bit of citrus flavor, it goes on salmon so perfectly. Htsalmon, sautee the salmon in Bouteillan or cook in the oven, brush it with Bouteillan olive oil. Smoked Salmon ( or I would think any smoked fish) fan out your salmon slices on on the plate add capers finely chopped green onion and pour ont he Bouteillan Olive Oil. Serve with toasted good bread. Yum -yum.

Here is the best recipie of all and you can use this recipie with all the olvie oils all varietals.
Garlic Toast
Get a fesh loaf of French Bread
Slice it into about 1" tall slices
Chop or thinly slice oh say 5 to 6 cloves (the individual petals of a whole garlic)
Get a big frying pan
Heat the olive oil up using medium high, let the oil heat for about 2 miutes then throw in about 25% of the garlic
Cook the garlic till it is yellowish brown
Using a tongs drop the slices of French bread in the olive oil
Let the bread cook for a little bit, perhaps 15 to 20 seconds, use the tongs to pick up the bread and try to soak up pieces pieces of the garlic onto the bread.
Your garlic is going to burn a bit, that is okay. it is fine to have a bit burned garlic ont he bread but when there is too much burne garlic int he frying pan jsut use a fork and pull out the burned garlic and add more. keep adding garlic and let it cook a bit then add the bread until you are done with bread or out of olive oil.

Now take the broiler pan that came with your stove, place all the French Bread slices that have been dipped in olive oil and have garlic chunks on top and place them ont he large flat broiler pan. Sprinkle the bread with jsut a very litle bit of Parmesan, a very little bit, don't over do with the Parmesan cheese then pop them in the broiler of your oven. Stay right there when broiling the bread dont' walk away it will burn real quick. Heat it under the broiler until the parmesan is bubbly and the bread is hot. Remove and serve. This garlic bread will be good the next day and the day after it really keeps so don't throw out the leftovers.

Int he Meditereanen olive oil is part fo the fabric of life people don't normally think of any particular recipe for olive oil, basically it is jsut used for evrything. In the middle of writig this I was called into the kitchen by my husband to toast the bread for dinner. He made steak tartar, cold green beans, and cold potatos for dinner tonight.

For the cold green beans and cold potatoes he jsut coked them until they were done then removed from the stove, poured off the boiling water and placed under the spigot with cold water running down to "ice down" the vegetables. He drained and they were served at room temperature topped by an olive oil vinagrette, I'll give that recipe below.

Olive Oil Vinagrette
Get a bowl like a cereal bowl and a small cooking whip (guys you will ahve to look tath one up!)
Take a rounded teaspoon of Amora Dijon (Any plain old Dijon mustard will work ike Grey Poupon but we like Amora brand) mustard and throw it in the bottom of the cereal bowl.
Get some red wine vinager and shake in about 10 shakes or so of red wine vineager.

Stir together with the whip.
Add some salt and some pepper and Herbs de Provence
Use Mas des Bories Olive oil and using your whip stir the vinegar/mustard concoction while slowely, every so slowly pouring in Mas des Bories Olive Oil. Pour in a little olive oil, stop whip it in with the whip, the whip sould completely blend all the 3 main ingredients into one, pour again a bit of olive oil, stop whip it in with the whip and jsut keep doing that until you like the flavor of the vinagrette.

In the picture below we had steak tartar for dinner, the green beans and the potato were at room temperature covered by an olive oil vinagrette, which in one of the pics you can see is gathering on the right hand side of the plate. The steak tartar is also very easy. Get yourself a FRESH tenderloin of beef, using a sharp knife so as not to heat the beef, cut it into tiny cubes (see pic) put it in a bowl and add Olive Oil (Aglandau or AOC would be great) capers, onion salt and pepper. Toast some bread and eat it on toasted bread, also shown is secon pic. I put in the fork and the knofe to give perspective.

This is a very simply Monday night dinner at our house. Over here live oil is such a "normal" part of our diet we nobody even thinks in terms of specific recipies using olive oil, it is basically jsut used for everything, cooking, frying, hot or cold and also in salad dressings we always reach for the olive oil. When you see that all 3 items ont he plat were made with olive oil you soon come to appreciate a very good olive oil from a so-so olive oil.

Attachments

• AwardsEnglish2007.pdf
    870.7 KB · Views: 324
  • SteakTarTar 001.jpg
    SteakTarTar 001.jpg
    206.9 KB · Views: 159
  • SteakTarTar 002.jpg
    SteakTarTar 002.jpg
    220.3 KB · Views: 144