Muhammad wins US National Taekwondo Poomse (Forms) Pairs Competition

/ Muhammad wins US National Taekwondo Poomse (Forms) Pairs Competition #11  
That is just awsome! I told my daughters and they said wow! Congratulations!!! :D

/ Muhammad wins US National Taekwondo Poomse (Forms) Pairs Competition #12  
Hakim said:
I have video of Muhammad doing his forms, and Ibrahim doing breaking demonstrations of concrete patio blocks. I'll see if they will let me put them up. They both like to keep a low profile here on TBN.

All the best,

UNBELIEVABLE Accomplishment, TOTALLY Awsome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Oh my gosh you and your wife must be soooooo proud of them. I know I can speak for every member of TBN, we REALLY want to see the video. We really want to see the vido. We all come onto TBN and share our joys, accomplishments, failures, bumps in life, and tractor accidents. That is what makes TBN such a ful place to be the sharing. I would feel badly if their vido wasn't shared. What are we not good enough to see the video? That is what you do with friends you share. I have never seen Taekwondo, much less a National Champion performing it. Please put up the vieo, please.

/ Muhammad wins US National Taekwondo Poomse (Forms) Pairs Competition #13  
Congratulations Muhammad! This is just one more example of your personal dedication to achieving excellence.

Hakim, thanks for posting. I know you must be bursting with pride. I sure would be.:)

/ Muhammad wins US National Taekwondo Poomse (Forms) Pairs Competition
Wayne County Hose said:
I had videos of Jimmy Kim in that first Olympics for TKD. He is one of the top martial artists in the world. To train under him is an honor. 16 years of training should make them about masters? I'm not sure about Tae Kwon Do, but my Tang Soo Do is also a Korean art with very close roots to Tae Kwon Do and it is about 13 years to master. I know that Jimmy Kim must be very proud of his students, and to receive praise from the likes of him is a very high honor. Maybe Muhammad can give me some pointers for next week? :)
One thing people may not realize is how HUGE Jimmy Kim is, around 6' 6" -- truly enormous for a Korean. His father is a 9th Dan Taekwondo master, with his own school near to his son's. That video of the 1988 Olympic Gold is pretty rare. I'd like to order one, if you know where to get it. I know Jimmy Kim shows his copy from time to time at the dojang, but I would like one too.

Ibrahim & Muhammad started training (I just looked it up) in August, 1993, under Master Choi Chung Sik in Vestal, NY. Master Choi was 5 times US national Champion, and twice World Medalist. Master Choi and Master Jimmy Kim both competed and trained together on the US National Team and world competitions. Master Choi's Master is Grandmaster Shin, who was one of the 12 people who originally trained under General Choi, and that group were the founders of Taekwondo as it is known today.

So, the approach is very "old school," with Korean terminologies, lots of hard work, respect for teachers, parents, country, etc. To be honest some of the martial arts schools today run more like health spas that martial training. No question, Jimmy Kim is one of the best of all time. And he is a truly fabulous human being. We're lucky to live so close.

Ibrahim & Muhammad are at nationals doing refereeing for the next two days of Nationals. They get back on Sunday. Andy, I am sure your skills and abilities are top notch, and we wish you every success in your forthcoming competitions. Let us know how it goes.

BTW, Ibrahim & Muhammad have a game development company, and just released a Taekwondo game for the PC. Even though it is TKD specific, all martial artists report they like the game a lot. Real fun stuff, I think. Tae Kwon Do World Champion - The Tae Kwon Do Video Game

All the best,

Hakim

/ Muhammad wins US National Taekwondo Poomse (Forms) Pairs Competition #15  
Hakim said:
One thing people may not realize is how HUGE Jimmy Kim is, around 6' 6" -- truly enormous for a Korean. His father is a 9th Dan Taekwondo master, with his own school near to his son's. That video of the 1988 Olympic Gold is pretty rare. I'd like to order one, if you know where to get it. I know Jimmy Kim shows his copy from time to time at the dojang, but I would like one too.

Unfortunately, I had this video. My house burned back in November, along with it some very rare books and videos. I also lost a bookcase full of trophies and awards and all my certificates. I have received some copies of my certificates, especially the ones for my present rank. Hopefully I'll start a new trophy case next weekend. I am trying to locate copies of the videos I have made copies for friends, I just have to locate who has what. The Jimmy Kim video was very treasured as well as a Ninjutsu Grandmaster, Dr. Maasaki Hatsumi in a 6 hour instructional all in Japanese with subtitles. Many of these are irreplaceable. And yes, any Korean over 6' tall is big, at 6'6" he is head and shoulders above most. I've had to spar people that tall before, and I'm only 5'7"!

Hakim said:
Ibrahim & Muhammad started training (I just looked it up) in August, 1993, under Master Choi Chung Sik in Vestal, NY. Master Choi was 5 times US national Champion, and twice World Medalist. Master Choi and Master Jimmy Kim both competed and trained together on the US National Team and world competitions. Master Choi's Master is Grandmaster Shin, who was one of the 12 people who originally trained under General Choi, and that group were the founders of Taekwondo as it is known today.

Vestal is not far from me. The founder of our organization is also a grandmaster named Shin, Jae Chul Shin. There is nothing like training under a native Korean.

Hakim said:
So, the approach is very "old school," with Korean terminologies, lots of hard work, respect for teachers, parents, country, etc. To be honest some of the martial arts schools today run more like health spas that martial training. No question, Jimmy Kim is one of the best of all time. And he is a truly fabulous human being. We're lucky to live so close.

You are so correct. I have seen students promoted simply because they pay their tuition. We also work very hard on our terminology. I take a great amount of pride in learning the language and heritage of the people that are responsible for giving me the gift of their martial art.

Hakim said:
Ibrahim & Muhammad are at nationals doing refereeing for the next two days of Nationals. They get back on Sunday. Andy, I am sure your skills and abilities are top notch, and we wish you every success in your forthcoming competitions. Let us know how it goes.

BTW, Ibrahim & Muhammad have a game development company, and just released a Taekwondo game for the PC. Even though it is TKD specific, all martial artists report they like the game a lot. Real fun stuff, I think. Tae Kwon Do World Champion - The Tae Kwon Do Video Game

All the best,

Hakim

Thank-you Hakim. I will check out the video game, though I have to admit, I'm not much of a gamer. Even though it may have a Tae Kwon Do background, the higher you travel in your martial arts journey, the closer they all become. Also, Tae Kwon Do and Tang Soo Do share the same heritage. As a matter odf fact, I have a good friend that finished 2nd in the Tae Kwon Do nationals in sparring about 10 years ago. When we were training together, he started doing a poomse. It was almost a carbon copy of one of mine. We both did them side by side and were amazed. Hopefully I come back in one piece with good news.

All the best to the Chishti family. Your sons are most definately on the right path in life.
Sincerely, Andy.

/ Muhammad wins US National Taekwondo Poomse (Forms) Pairs Competition #16  
Just to give everyone an idea of how huge this tournament is, it is being held at Ford Field in Detroit, yes, a football stadium where the Detroit Lions play. I think it is a week long tournament. The Tae Kwon Do organization hosting it I know has at least 100,000 members.

/ Muhammad wins US National Taekwondo Poomse (Forms) Pairs Competition #17  
Thank you for all of the kind words. I really appreciate it. This was my third attempt at making the U.S. national team... in 2006 I didn't place, in 2007 I won silver and this year made the team.

Now even harder training begins as we prepare to bring home a medal for the USA.

/ Muhammad wins US National Taekwondo Poomse (Forms) Pairs Competition #18  
Congratulations. I know a little more about this site. I wish you the best at your events. plowking

/ Muhammad wins US National Taekwondo Poomse (Forms) Pairs Competition #19  
Marvelous achievement, congrats and best wishes for Chishti family.

JC,:)

/ Muhammad wins US National Taekwondo Poomse (Forms) Pairs Competition #20  
Muhammad, wow I had no idea you were such a well respected international athlete. My sincerest congratulations!! Hakim will have to give us daily updates when the world championships are happening in December. I know the TBN family will following closely.

MarkV